A Conversation for Epilepsy

A623062-Epilepsy

Post 1

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

http://bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A623062

This is basically a paper I wrote in college, with some things cut out. I thought h2g2 would be a good place for it, as there doesn't seem to be much on epilepsy here...


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 2

Fizzabert

You mean:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A623062

smiley - winkeye

I agree there should be an article on epilepsy. I've not read yours yet but I'll give you some comments when I have a chance!


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 3

Azara

Hi, Amy!
I think your entry is very interesting and well-researched, and the topic is a very worthwhile one. I have a few general comments:

You spend quite a lot of time on the various misconceptions about epilepsy (both historical and present). I think the entry would be better balanced if you covered two areas in a little more detail. The first is actual medical treatment - you say that most people with epilepsy lead fairly normal lives, but to what extent is this due to the development of suitable drugs for treatment? If someone is reading the entry for general information on what one of their friends or family might be facing, a better indication of what is recognised as good medical practice would be useful. The other area is that of everyday consequences: while someone may indeed be living a fairly normal life, they may have to make a lot of adjustments to manage this. I'm sure different countries and states have varying rules for this, but many people with epilepsy are not be able to drive. They may need special child care arrangements and so on - I don't think any parent would want to be alone with a small child if there is any risk of the parent having a serious seizure. Obviously people do cope with these kind of problems, but some indication of where the problems arise would also be useful.

One small comment on layout - your use of [] brackets around the beginnings of quotations doesn't match the Guide style of layout - you would be better off removing them.

Anyway, I think this should end up as an excellent Edited Guide entry. Good luck!
Azara
smiley - rose


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 4

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Yes, I think I will find more stuff on treatment--and it would end up giving the entry some references more recent than 1994(5?)...

The brackets around the W are to indicate that, in the quote, 'where' comes in the middle of the sentence...I know ellipses would do the same, but do they really belong at the beginning of a blockquote?

And I thought I was going to be able to go staight home today...

Oh, and thanks for putting the 'www' in for me smiley - biggrin


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 5

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

And, of course, my link (in my footnotes, not IRL) to the Epilepsy Foundation just *might* prove usefulsmiley - winkeye...


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 6

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Well, as I said I would I just read it. It is very good, I particularly like the historical background to views of persons with epilepsy in the past. But, I do agree with smiley - erm someone above in regard to more on current treatments, I guess there is a lot of drugs being used in treatments, it shouldn't i Think be too hard to find that sort of stuff, the FDA and the like often tend to have information on treatments particularly new ones, i Was looking there a while ago for suff on malaria and primary biliary cirrhosis, and there was quite a bit on that, so good luck.


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 7

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Oh, I know there's lots of stuff--I came across it when I was relocating my sources (see my journals). Luckily, this info I can get to at the public library, so I'll get home before 8pm...


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 8

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

So will this have to be moved to the workshop, or will it be OK here for a couple of days until I can get the treatment info added?


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 9

Azara

I certainly don't think that you should move it to the workshop. People expect a certain amount of 'tweaking' and additions to be made to entries in Peer Review. The scouts try not to recommmend anything until it's been here at least a week, so you'd have a few days grace anyway.

I find that the safest thing to do is to leave a clear message on the lines of 'I intend to make some additions on the lines suggested. These should be finished by Friday/Saturday/next Wednesday' or whatever deadline you think is reasonable. Even a scout who hopes to pick it should hold off until you post again that you've made the changes. I think that anyone commenting will appreciate that that kind of information take take a lot of fact-checking, and no one expects miracles!

Azara
smiley - rose


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 10

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Thanks, Azarasmiley - biggrin


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 11

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I will be making changes. I should be done at least by next Wednesday (probably before, but I'm giving myself extra time).


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 12

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I am amazed how you can find tine to do this between all your "proper Work" seeing as how you must be working so hard to get a good Report thing smiley - hugsmiley - smiley


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 13

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Lots of empty time, my friend...

If you mean how did I find time to do the entry, I did it at home...


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 14

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Oh, I see, I had thought that you only did the H2G2 when at work using their computers smiley - winkeye but I guess you can do resurch at home for it. I have so much spare time it is embarasing although I am ment to be doing something for my degree? smiley - yikes so I am just here all the time normally smiley - yikessmiley - biggrin nearly finished packing smiley - smiley


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 15

Silverfish

I think this should be in the edited guide when it is finished.

I have a few comments.

Perhaps you should say that a somnambulist is a sleepwalker. Whilst some people may know what somnambulist means, there are probably enough who don't, to make it worth including it in a bracket, or footnote. Also, I think that you could do with changing the footnotes a bit. For example, you quote 'Devore 12' 3 times in the last 3 sentences in the paragraph about appropriate reactions, that could probably be covered by one footnote.

Also, I feel it would be useful to have a bit about what epilepsy is, rather than the nature of the seizures, although they are needed too. Is it, for example, an inherited condition?

I'll leave you to make any changes you feel neccesary, and I'll have another look later.

Silverfish


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 16

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Not done, still working on it...But no more (major) changes will be done today, because I have to write the section on treatments...


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 17

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

But if anyone has epilepsy sites out of the US that they can give me to put on here, I would appreciate it...

If this message has been here over four hours, URLs will be moderated out before I can see them, so never mind...


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 18

Bob Gone for good read the jornal

if you email me on Bob at n2g2. I will send you all the stuff I manadged to pick up, ok it is a year out of date but I diddent really have much need to carry on after last december. I will also see If I can remeber the url for the reaserch center that I got allot of information from


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

This is a very interesting article and should become a guide entry.

One thing I don't understand is your insistence that Epilepsy is not a form of mental illness. I thought that mental illness meant an illness or disorder in the brain. Epilepsy is undoubtedly a disorder in the brain. So what do you mean by mental illness?


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 20

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Epilepsy is a neurological condition, not a psychiatical (is that even a word?) condition.


Key: Complain about this post

A623062-Epilepsy

More Conversations for Epilepsy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more