A Conversation for Project: Coping with the Office

Corporate Culture

Post 1

Finn Rae

Have you considered the differences between office life in private industry and office life in Government or (UK) Local Authorities.
From personal experience it is very different. Details available if you are interested.


Corporate Culture

Post 2

Moonglum Clampflower (MornC), Muse of Ego, Keeper of the Lamp and Guru, (aka Happinose)


To be perfectly honest, I've not worked in a Government office. Judging by the popular press, I can imagine it is very different.

What sort of details did you have in mind?

smiley - cheers

smiley - crescentmoonsmiley - biggrin


Corporate Culture

Post 3

Finn Rae

Well.... for a start everything moves very....very...slow. Not being motivated by the drive for company profit, or the prospect of a decent wage (a bonus is unheard of as is the company car), and being as it often very difficult to dismiss a totally useless employee (unless they commit murder of steal cash), most of ones mental energies go in surviving the office politics. Managers tend to fall into two types - those who feel that it could be better somehow and are there to improve the public service through good practice and dedication, and those who know a good skive when they see one and concentrate on building an empire and passing the blame elsewhere.
Workers follow the same lines, although those on the front lines assume that they (generally) are doing their job in spite of the management and the fact that they will never be recognised or rewarded for it goes without question.
Good work does happen, but too often by accident, not because snr. management planned it that way. In fact the concept of management planning anything will raise a laugh with any LA worker.
For me, Dilbert cartoons are very accurate (if somewhat understated) in their portrayal of LA life. Except they the action moves too quick.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more