A Conversation for The Dutch Researchers Club

Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 1

Alfredo


I've asked for technical feedback at Jim, at the Feedback forum, because of the fact, that since a few weeks, opening the pages at H2G2 is EXTREMELY slow. Sometimes it takes two minutes or even more, to open a page.

He gave me some reply, but it isn't very satisfying.

And because I live in Holland, I'd like to ckeck this with fellow Dutch people.

What is your experience with the speed of H2G2 in the last month?

Your experience might be relevant for the problem.

It's not a very exiting question, but that's because of the nature of the problem.

And last but not least; A Happy New Year to all of you and let's hope we'll get more sun and less rain.

Greatings from Amsterdam


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 2

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Hi Alfredo.
I am from Amstelveen, and with my ADSL the speed is acceptable. Not much difference from before.

Maybe you can get it a bit faster by setting your preferences in a different way.

Goo is far the slowest skin, alabaster is much faster.
User mode: Normal and Forum style: Single pages give also a faster result.
It also helps if you allow caching as each page has a lot of gif's to load.

Jim said some time ago they had problems with bot's from search-engines, trying to copy the while site.


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 3

Alfredo



Thanks Marijn.

1) I have been checking my speed/slowless with someone else in Holland and while we were both on line ánd on the telephone we could compare te speed.
Seemed to be the same, although we did the experiment at BBC i.

2) I do use alabaster. Much easier for my eyes.

3) The other possibilities I don't quite get;

- User mode?
- Forum Style?
- Caching?

4) To get from My Space at H2G2 to this forum took me exactly fifty seconds. I consider that as SLOW. And in other cases it can take two minutes.
And it's ónly at H2G2.


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 4

Alfredo


Yes, Marijn, it sééms to make difference.

I found the category "Preferences" and at

User Mode I had turned on "EXPERT" and have turned that into "NORMAL".

At Forum Style I already had "single pages".

But I still don't see anywhere "allow catching".

When I've found that, I'll let you know, or otherwise you let mé know.

Oké.

Thanks so far.


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 5

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Alfredo,
what speed has your connection?
The pages on this site can become large with a large amount of individual graphics, that have to be requested and sent individually.
Pages can differ between 5k and 200 - 300k.

For your other questions, check the orange 'preference' button on the yellow line on the top or bottom of the page. You must have found it before, as your nickname is entered there.

Caching is done by your browser, using previously transmitted pictures instead of requesting and transmitting them again.

It also may make a difference which browser you use. Internet Explorer is extremely slow. Try Opera or Mozilla for a faster response.


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 6

Alfredo



Yes, the only thing - to allow caching/verbergen - I don't get.
Is that someting that is not related to "Preferences" but to my own software?

Hope to hear from you.


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 7

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

caching is ideed a function of your browser. It stores pictures on your computer, and when needed again, it can be retrieved much faster than from the internet.


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 8

Alfredo


Wel many thanks, Marijn.

My Cable Wannadoo is rather fast.
It's speed has become twice as fast.
Getting from my Space to here took me exactly three minutes.

But I'll use your informations with others I speak tomorrow at home.

I have Windows ME and use Internet Explorer.
I guess that Opera and Mozilla is totally different software?
Maybe I'll get it via Kaaza, or even buy it.

Any how, thanks a lot.

P.S. Why are you EX - Ace and EX - Guru?


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 9

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

For me it takes just 5-10 seconds. My Page takes much more time, because of the size.

Opera and Mozilla can be freely downloaded from their own sites.
http://www.opera.com/download/
http://www.mozilla.org/
I am using Opera 6.05. IE only in cases where Opera does not work with the fake Java used especially for IEsmiley - yuk

Actually I am a Guru and an Ex-ACE. The reasons you can find somewhere on my page.


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 10

Alfredo



Last questions;

1) I have given my PC 280 MB for Temporary Internet Files.
Seems to be more than enough.

2) More important; which "CODE" is the best in the Categorie "Picture" of Internet Explorer.

There are three that smee to give the same result;

W-Europe Windows

W-Europe ISO

and
Unicode UTF8

Thanks so much
and I'll visit/read/study your Space tomorrow.

Thanks again, Archangel!


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 11

Alfredo



Well, I háve downloaded Opera 6.05 (dutch version) and it indeed makes some difference. Not dramatically, but noticable.

I have also downloaded a Keygen for all opera versions.
Is that usefull to eliminate the Banner?

I do hope that also óther visitors of this page might benefit from all the info vise versa.


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 12

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

"I have also downloaded a Keygen"
Maybe you should be carefull with what may be considered as promoting illegal activitiessmiley - whistle.

Others might have learned something from this discussion, if you had initially started it on <./>askh2g2</.>.
As you may have seen, few people are subscribted to the Dutch researchers pagesmiley - erm.


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 13

Alfredo


Well, the occasion that I put my remarks and questions also hére, was, that may be my locátion = Holland, might be a part of the problem,
as a professional BBC worker at H2G2 suggested to investigate.

Before this conversation here at the Dutch site, I was having my problem analysed at the "technical section" of the Feedback Corner at H2G2.
So to be able to compáre, was my reason.

Later on I learned that with the TRACERT program you can see how many servers you pass and whére, before you hit LONDON.

But after all, you were of great help
and
I , and others, may álso have learned that "Keyprograms" are illegal software, etc. etc.

Well, Archangel, thanks a lot and keep flying high!

Greatings from Amsterdam


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 14

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

smiley - ok

For some reason the adds on my opera are suddenly gonesmiley - whistle


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 15

Alfredo


Yes, real archangels create their ówn mysteries....


Key: Complain about this post