A Conversation for Talking Point: Bond, James Bond...

And the next Bond should be...

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

(if we're going for suave, debonair, English and a real bit of letch) Rupert Everett

*groan*


And the next Bond should be...

Post 2

Demon Drawer

If only Sean Bean hadn't been in Goldeneye as Alex Llewelyn he would have got my vote.

Jude Law I think would make an excellent 007 he has the suave attributes and has carried of a number of difficult roles well.

Of course Ewan McGregor might get it as he is not afraid of nudity. smiley - winkeye


And the next Bond should be...

Post 3

Ashley



Rupert Everett - too old

Jude Law - Now *that's* a good idea

Ewan McGregor - has the charisma but lacks the height


And the next Bond should be...

Post 4

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

Jude Law - great actor but sounds a bit poncy ...

Doug-Ray Scott would get my vote


Oh and Chris Eubank ... smiley - silly ... (or should that be <thilly&gtsmiley - winkeye


And the next Bond should be...

Post 5

Dinsdale Piranha

Colin Firth. He's got the accent, he looks as if he can be a right b*****d, and my wife reckons he's got the best smouldering/seductive look in the business.


And the next Bond should be...

Post 6

Asterion

How about the suggestion of Dubya over in the Best/Worst villian thread?


And the next Bond should be...

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

How about Woody Allen? smiley - smiley

(Okay, so he's not suave, not debonair, and not English,
but it is rumored that he's more than a bit of a letch smiley - smiley)

But why do we need to think about the "next" James
Bond when Pierce Brosnan seems to be doing a good
job as the present one? smiley - erm


And the next Bond should be...

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

Colin Firth... brilliant. Let's get him signed up.

Who said Rupert Everett is too old... what's too old? I have to say I don't like Pierce Brosnan as Bond. Can't put my finger on it though.


And the next Bond should be...

Post 9

Afterglow

Rupert Everett, although fantastic, is a bit camp and doesn't have the Bond look, it's something in the eyes, Roger Moore didn't have it either.
Jude Law for me!
A -x-


And the next Bond should be...

Post 10

Researcher 159112

ooh! Colin Firth! Colin Firth!

sorry, got a bit excited there, but he's *so* sexy.....

KQ


And the next Bond should be...

Post 11

Awix

Adrian Paul (from the Highlander TV series). Swarthy, athletic,the ladies like him, the boy looks good in a fight, and his Scottish accent's about as convincing as Connery's was...


And the next Bond should be...

Post 12

Mister Matty

Jude Law would be fantastic but he's too young! Maybe in ten years smiley - smiley


And the next Bond should be...

Post 13

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

I'd go with/for Dougray Scott smiley - winkeye

...or Jeremy Northam


And the next Bond should be...

Post 14

Researcher 184848

One more vote for Jude Law.

Another suggestion would be the guy who plays Steve Owen on EastEnders. I don't know why; perhaps because I think his personality is strong enough to carry the role.


And the next Bond should be...

Post 15

Ashley



The problem with this guy is that too many of us remember him from Spandau Ballet....


And the next Bond should be...

Post 16

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

How can you say Rupert Everett is too old for Bond after Roger Moore? He must have been about fifty when he started.

Anyway, we should maintain the tradition of switching nationalities for every Bond. Maybe a New Zealander? Hugo Weaving anyone?

Or maybe not.

Anyway, everyone talks about needing suavity, but remember that each actor has brought his own mark to the character.

Sean Connery (Scotland) was - calling a spade a spade - a thug in a DJ, but he had a rough charm and we respect that he took no nonsense from anyone. He was also technically a rapist - the Connery Bond, not Connery - but it was a less enlightened time, so we forgive him, or possibly try to ignore it.

George Lazenby (Australia) was - callind a spade a spade - a plank. He took one of the more interesting Bond plots and made it dull.

Roger Moore (England) was - calling a spade a spade - a slimy letcher. But he was suave, and so for a few years we forgave him the grotesque overuse of the word 'darling', his supercillious tone, and even the safari suits. But then he got old, and portly, and he was still there with his safari suits and his unsolicited darlings, groping barely pubescent dolly girls, and we knew he had gone beyond the ability to be suave, and it was time to move on.

Timothy Dalton (Wales) was a darker horse. He brought a touch of black humour, along with a sense of incredibly casual brutality to the role. He also wasn't all that suave, which is perhaps why many people didn't like him as much.

Finally, Pierce Brosnan (Ireland), brings us back to the suave, and at times skirts the lounge-lizard from accounts territory occupied by Roger Moore. But he also showed us a more flawed and human Bond, not really seen since he left his murderered wife's graveside for an exciting helicopter opening.

And that's without mentioning - and hey, let's not, because we could be here all day - Casino Royale.

So I suppose what I'm saying is that there is an extent to which Bond can be cast without many preconceptions. He doesn't have to be English (although since he works for MI6, British or maybe Australasian would be prefered), and while he does need to be charming, he's certainly no gentleman. He could be anything from the smooth-surfaced Brosnan, to the unpolished Connery (or possibly the other way around).

Hey, maybe we could have Rupert Everett as the first gay Bond?

Or again, maybe not.

The Prophet.


And the next Bond should be...

Post 17

Sho - employed again!

Well, why not a gay Bond? In these new enlightened times. But he has to stop playing gays, right?

How about... hmmm... what's his name... arrgghh... Robert Carlyle.....


And the next Bond should be...

Post 18

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

I'd argue that Carlyle has already played a villain in Bond,but then again Charles Grey and the big American fellow who was the CIA agent in Goldeneye and Tommorow Never Dies, and whose name escapes me both played lesser goodies and villains in Bond films.

The Prophet.


And the next Bond should be...

Post 19

Demon Drawer

So I guess referring back to Ashley post 15.

Bon(d), Simon le Bon is out as well then. smiley - biggrin


And the next Bond should be...

Post 20

Scumbag

Hey, Prophet, if you want a New Zealander for Bond, how about Sam Neill ?
OK, he may be a bit too old (and thin). And that 'Hostage' film may have done him damage, except that nobody has seen it.


Key: Complain about this post