A Conversation for Talking Point: Bond, James Bond...

What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 1

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

I love that game. It has the strange ability to unite any group of people who play it. I have lived in several shared houses and it always becomes a big focus.

Perfect dark (the sequel) is fun too but it really suffers without Bond Discuss)


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 2

Starman - Keeper of Songs


Bond on the N64 is ace. just got perfect dark, and at the moment I still prerer Bond multi player.






smiley - star


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 3

Mycroft

The plot in the game is a good deal more coherent than the plot on the film, for one thing.


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 4

unremarkable: Lurker, OMFC, LPAS

there's just nothing quite like hitting your best friend in the head with a rocket launcher.... fun times.

one thing that i originally liked about pref dark, but now wonder if its such a good idea after all are the sims.... its just not as funny i think, more fun playing against your buds...(even if they are kicking your tail)

plurality of weapons is also biiig bonus in both games...


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 5

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

I loved going after the cheats I single player mode trying to complete some levels againts the clock on oo Agent is a nightmare! the only one i could never get was Invincibility on the second level...er..."Facility". To make the time you would have had to stop to shoot no-body but you'd be dead before you even left the toilet!

Clive smiley - coolsmiley - bubbly


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 6

unremarkable: Lurker, OMFC, LPAS

i've heard a rumor that if you complete some lunatic timed level, you could get connery as a multiplayer character....


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 7

Dinsdale Piranha

It's a great game, but whenever I can kick my sons off the console to have a go, I always end up with something akin to car sickness. It only happens on Goldeneye, never Mario Kart 64 (which rules IMHO).


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 8

Asterion

That happened to me once playing Unreal Tournament. It's that capture the flag one on the asteriod where the gravity goes all funny depending where you are and your field of view flips real fast.


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 9

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

The big advantage of perfect dark is the sheer number of options in the multiplayer mode. They best being the ability to mix and match weapons as you choose.

I also like that double function thing.

However I would agree that sim combat (especially in teams) is not all you might expect it to be.

Goldeneye was good though because of the believable weapons. Using laser guns just ain't as much fun as a pp7.

PS
Mario cart on the N64 sucks. Nothing compares to that multiplayer on the snes.
Why don't they make Bond cart? I can just imagine jaws squezzed into a 50cc.


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 10

Dinsdale Piranha

Why does it suck? It's the only game I play with any regularity. Don't like Battle Mode though.

I'm trying to get No. 2 Son to buy Mario Kart for his recently purchased GBA.


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 11

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

Well Mr Pirahna (is your brother called Doug?). The reasons it sucks are many. The most basic though is it is just a total disapointment compared to the earlier version. This was a game that just begged you to play it. You really wanted to get better times on the circuits. As a regular player there was always challenge left in playing. The best thing was that battle mode though. It was possible to play first to 99 round games and never be bored. The way the cars swerved and pulled Uies round the tight bends was perfect. The control was truly instinctual as well. The 64 version was pretty, it had more complex circuits but it didn't have that key element of inspired, original gameplay. Mario Kart 64 was like any race game. Super Mario Kart was in a different league.
My father and I bonded over huge matches on this (and on Streetfighter of course) and I have lots of good memories of that.
I hope you do get your hands on that GBA version of the snes classic but if not get a SNES emulator and a copy of the game.


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 12

Dinsdale Piranha

My cat's called Doug, and HE used to have a brother called Dinsdale.

You could argue that any sequel doesn't have original gameplay (how could it?), but I still get the 'must get a better time' whenever I play. I actually prefer the single player mode. My absolute favourite is to do Bowser's Castle as Toad. The other thing I love is racing the Course Ghost.

I have to say that I find Battle Mode REALLY dull.


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 13

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

Thats because the battle mode on the n64 version IS dull. Thats the biggest problem.

Also the handling of the car dosen't come close to the way it did in the original.

I take your point about original gameplay but at the same time add that a sequel has to do something to outshine its predecessor.

Put simply the only positive addition to MK 64 was the more fully realised mode 7. If you haven't played the SNES version you wouldn't see what I mean. A review in the copy of the always excellent EDGE magazine which I read today backs up all I have said and I have only met one person before who had played both games and was truly happy with the sequel. The good news smiley - smiley is that EDGE says the GBA version is a worthy successor that returns to what made the game great so go get.

smiley - ok


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 14

Dinsdale Piranha

Trouble is, he wants to get the Mario platformer...

*sigh* I'll just have to keep playing F-Zero (when he lets me).


What makes the N64 game sooo good?

Post 15

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

Well F-zero advance is a v-good game. Spending too much time on that one myself. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post