A Conversation for Faculty of Social Sciences

Wilma U2192551

Post 21

Mina

"But I don't want to be a source of envy and discontent,"

In that case kindly remove half your brains as well. smiley - winkeye


Wilma U2192551

Post 22

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

smiley - laugh


Wilma U2192551

Post 23

The H2G2 Editors

Hello all,

Now - we don't want any fights, and most of all, we don't want anyone extracting any of Gnomon's grey matter! smiley - yikes

The feedback is helpful, as it enables us to identify what the University is about. I don't think there is a problem at all in awarding badges retrospectively, but I think that - if they are to count as a university project - the Entries have to have some strong theme to them. Then, the author can be awarded a badge.

In the case of Gnomon's Entries, I think there's a strong argument that the wealth of Entries he's written on (for example) Greece and on musical instruments, means that at least two university projects can be formed from them, though he may not have necessarily anticipated this at the time. It is probably the case that we should link them together (eg, with the navigation at the top of each page) in order that this makes more sense though.

I think if Wilma were to write at least another Entry about Lebanese cultural life then there'd be a project in that.

Thanks all smiley - cheers,

h2g2 Editors


Wilma U2192551

Post 24

Mina

Eek, where have your italics gone?


Wilma U2192551

Post 25

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Why aren't you in italics, Mr h2g2? Quite confusing.

I'm glancing through your conversation list, and you're not an imposter F19585?thread=617351&skip=7524&show=2 but you're not in italics anywhere. What's gone wrong?

And, back on topic, what exactly is the university? Define, please.

TRiG.smiley - smiley


Wilma U2192551

Post 26

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

smiley - bluelight Simulpost! smiley - bluelight


Wilma U2192551

Post 27

Natalie

Eh? What?! smiley - run


Wilma U2192551

Post 28

Gnomon - time to move on

"The main aim of the University is to complete projects on topics that might be a bit too broad or deep for one entry. We class a project as consisting of five entries or more on a given subject. It certainly doesn't have to be an academic subject - we're seeking all kinds of knowledge and wisdom, so don't be put off by the 'University' title. All your project needs to do is match the guidelines for other Edited Guide Entries."


Wilma U2192551

Post 29

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit browsing the Guide
"I thought we once had a page listing the completed university projects ?

< A480421 > 'Completed University Projects' has been demoted nut it suggests the faculty pages contain the lists of finished projects. However only < A612361 > 'Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering' has something of a list 'Department of Agriculture & Horticulture'

Glad we have 'Jodan' to collect some of the older projects < A5836638 > 'University Projects'. "


Wilma U2192551

Post 30

AlexAshman


Here's a question - where can we find a list of completed projects? Will the title page of each fully finished project be linked to from the appropriate faculty page?


Wilma U2192551

Post 31

The H2G2 Editors

That's a very good point - I think we might need to do a bit of tidying up here...


Wilma U2192551

Post 32

Mina

I'm pretty sure that a Researcher put a page together, if there wasn't an official list. Not sure I remember who though.


Wilma U2192551

Post 33

The H2G2 Editors

Yes, it's Jodan's page I think: A5836638.

In order to do this, we're going to have to make sure that all the Entries have a main page (some of them have a project page, which acts as that). We also need to sort out the navigation at the top of the pages and add university crests, putting them in categories. It's going to be a long job and we might need a bit of help. However, it'd be nice to have them all accessible from somewhere.

I've just remembered how prolific Bluebottle was!


Wilma U2192551

Post 34

Gnomon - time to move on

I should work, then, to deserve my badge. If I add the Project headers to each of the musical instrument entries, as in this example, A1315496, would that be enough to turn it retrospectively into a project?

In that case, a number of other researchers who contributed to the musical instrument entries would also merit a Field Researcher badge.


Wilma U2192551

Post 35

The H2G2 Editors

It would be fantastic if you could do that Gnomon. smiley - cheers That page looks really good.

The badge issue raises other questions, about university projects being collaborative, so we're going to have to have a think about this.

We're open to suggestions though, and will be looking at this more when we've got a bit more time. smiley - flustered In the meantime, thanks for this. smiley - ok


Wilma U2192551

Post 36

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Would it be worth adding this A9567723 to that page, Gnomon?


Wilma U2192551

Post 37

Gnomon - time to move on

That would mean I'd have to go in and edit all those entries again! (I've just finished them). But you're right, it should be in there.


Wilma U2192551

Post 38

Gnomon - time to move on

Done that.


Wilma U2192551

Post 39

Gnomon - time to move on

Eds, if you think that the other people who wrote parts of the entries in the "Musical Instruments Project" also deserve Field Researcher badges, let me know and I'll give you a complete list.


Wilma U2192551

Post 40

Gnomon - time to move on

That should shut "Sober Skankyrich" up. (Haven't met that guy).smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post