A Conversation for H2G2 Astronomical Society Questions and Answers.

another question

Post 1

If the universe is infinite, then im "a" center, 21+4^1+8+9=42

with the big bang theory it states that the universe is expanding, but what is it expanding into? if there is nothing wouldnt it be ripping a new something into space-time? so when the universe starts to collapse wouldnt we be able to go outside our universe into whatever it created when it expanded into it?


another question

Post 2

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

It isn't expanding into anything. It is just getting bigger. The only space is within the universe, so there is nothing for it to expand into. Please don't ask me to explain this any better, that's about all I can say and make sence.

(Note: I am not a member of the H2G2as, so it is possible that I shouldn't have tried to answer this question here. If so, I apologize.)


Another question.

Post 3

Professor Sarah Bellum

Don't worry about answering, I should check my page more often.
Since everything that is known to exist is in the Universe there isn't really an outside so you can't really think like that. It is hard but if there was an outside being in a four dimensional space / time existance we couldn't see it. Maybe if we could see more dimesnions we could. Who knows. We will proably never know but if anyone can explain this better I'm listening.


Another question.

Post 4

Professor Sarah Bellum

I have been thinking a bit on how to explain this question better if you're still interested. Let's see what I can do.
There is nothing outside the Universe for it to expand into. It just is getting bigger. It's not easy to imagine but when thinking in three dimesional terms, or in the four dimensional world of space /time, as we tend to do, it's not easy to thinking of something expanding with no where for it to expand.
Another idea it that our Universe (and other) were created from a singularity in another Universe which we could call a multiverse. This is on way that we explain where all the Yelm (everything in the Universe) can from. It could be expanding into this multiverse or, since a singulariy breaks down the laws of space / time, there could be somewhere in this singularity for the Universe to expand into.
Another theory is that if our Universe isn't unique in being the only one but all Universes (or is it Universei) are seprate and there must or may be some kind of chaos between them. If singulaities bud of Universes, then we may be able to reach them through a black hole or a black hole may create a tempoary bridge if the Universes detach from their parent.
I belive the Universe became infinite from the point of its creation back at the Big Bang and although it is infinite it is exapnding. If you can grasp that then you should be able to grasp the first point I put across.

If you want to try and understand the points I've attempted to transmit try thing of the Universe of space as a two dimesional rubbber sheet. If you put a heavy object on the sheet then it creates in indentation in what we see as the third dimesion. An extremaly heavy object like a black hole would be to heavy for the sheet and create a hole or a tear. If you think of the thrid dimseion of this sheet where you can see the indentations as a fourth spacial dimesion or if you want the four space / time dimesions, think of this as the fifth dimension. We can't see this dimension since we can only move freely in three and move in one direction at a set speed in the fourth but this may help you understand it. The rubber sheet is a bit like the boundry of the Universe and is expressed in a two dimesional way since we can actually see the third dimension. You may want to note that anyone living it that two dimsional Universe would think of it being flat like we thought of the world when it could be a sphere.
If you want to think about this in three dimsional terms all I can suggest is that you think of the Universe as being full of jelly but that dosn't really help too much since it's better for putting another point across.
Just try to think at the dimesions being:
1. Height.
2. Width.
3. Depth.
4. Time.
5. Space.
I hope this helps. Read it through again missing out the last part if it's confused you. smiley - star


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more