A Conversation for The H2G2 Programmers' Corner

Linux Distros

Post 21

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Seems like somthings going on at Red Hat, The corperate tw*ts win again eh? well I can't stand for such restrictions in the face of GPL. I shall not but Red Hat, ever.. so there smiley - winkeye

-- DoctorMO --


Linux Distros

Post 22

MaW

I don't like Red Hat anyway... however, nobody has accused them of GPL violation lately.


Linux Distros

Post 23

26199

I believe DoctorMO's talking about RedHat's recent approach to cooperation with Intel... they released some code under a dual BSD/GPL licence to allow proprietary use, whereas previously it was just GPL. This allowed Intel to patch it as they wanted... (something like that, anyway).

As far as I'm concerned, cooperation by allowing code to be included in proprietary stuff is a good thing -- if it is indeed cooperation and something is received in return, which appears to be the case.

RedHat appear to be doing their best to make Linux viable in the corporate world, which is an admirable goal IMHO...


Linux Distros

Post 24

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

I've noticed one thing about the corperate world, they seem to think that anything worth using, costs money. don't know why. probly think the money gets spent on development or somthing. smiley - laugh

-- DoctorMO --


Linux Distros

Post 25

MaW

Some of it does. Red Hat employ several noteable figures - Alan Cox, Havoc Pennington, Owen Taylor...


Linux Distros

Post 26

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

I wasn't thinking linux, I was edging more towards that big menice, the one. smiley - winkeye

-- DoctorMO --


Linux Distros

Post 27

MaW

Yes, but we know some of the money for that gets spent on development. That's where unpaid and overstressed programmers come from.


Linux Distros

Post 28

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Oh yes sorry, they must have a room somewere in redwood, called development team, and then have a T3 conection piped directly into a masive computer in which they can steal anything that they find interesting and convert it for use. laughable development.

-- DoctorMO --


Linux Distros

Post 29

MaW

And that computer invented C# by itself then did it?

Development does occur at Microsoft. So does copying of other ideas, and buyouts - but that's the nature of the world. Open Source projects copy Microsoft, in case you hadn't noticed.


Linux Distros

Post 30

26199

Hmm. Not flamebait, an honest question smiley - smiley... in what ways is C# an improvement on Java and the JVM?

(Which, as I'm sure you're aware, turned up several years earlier -- and which Microsoft has been trying very underhandedly to kill...)


Linux Distros

Post 31

26199

(incidentally, when I installed a Win98 security patch the EULA included a clause forbidding me from publishing .NET benchmarks -- I leave you to draw conclusions on that one)


Linux Distros

Post 32

xyroth

It seems particularly stupid of redhat moaning about people using their system as a base, when they did the same thing with slackware.

I quite like some redhat stuff, but it is the delusions of being a big business which really grate against the open source nature of most of the code on their cd's.


Linux Distros

Post 33

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

hmm, well the nature of the world is wrong, full stop. and I don't realy care what is done. it dosn't make it right. Exactly name 1 thing MS have invented.. I bet you can't, Oh and apart from Basic. don't even go there.

-- DoctorMO --


Linux Distros

Post 34

MaW

26199: Given that I hate almost everything about Java, you may be unsurprised to learn that I much prefer C#. Doesn't hold a candle to C++ and Haskell though.

DoctorMO: Sure, they haven't invented very much, but you have to give them some credit - getting where they are today is an amazing achievement, even given that they used immoral and sometimes illegal methods to do it.


Linux Distros

Post 35

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

well yes, no one says that imoral and down right illial actions that produce great big things arn't an achivment. just it's not one to be proud of or look up to, I prefare to look down at such activites, they didn't even invent there own name...

-- DoctorMO --


Linux Distros

Post 36

MaW

Does anything I've said given you the impression that I look up to Microsoft? Of course I don't! I don't, however, subscribe to the opinion that pretty much names them the source of all evil.


Linux Distros

Post 37

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

No evil has a much more defind look. a more swave attatude. this is just pure greed and stupidity.

-- DoctorMO --


Linux Distros

Post 38

26199

Ah, well... given that you prefer C++ to Java, you're already a lost cause smiley - tongueoutsmiley - run


Linux Distros

Post 39

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

hmm, I hope thats not positioned my way.. I prefare Asm to C++ and naturaly Java, only because I don't know Java and I don't have the time to learn it, I don't even know that much C++, only enough to do DLLs and inline asm.

-- DoctorMO --


Linux Distros

Post 40

MaW

* chases 26199 with a big baseball bat in hand *


Key: Complain about this post