A Conversation for Australia - A Cultural Perspective

wine regions and (drinkable) NSW beer

Post 1

Phoenician Trader

The major wine regions in SA are barrossa, clare, mclaren vale, adelaide hills, padthaway and coonawarra. There are odd places as well but these are the biggies.

I have been trying to write them up (see my home space) but keep getting distracted by the pressures of advanced research.

As a South Australian, I would have to add that the only drinkable NSW beer is Resch's Dinner Ale. It is so good, it might have been brewed in SA (a big concession, as you will appreciate).

PT


wine regions and (drinkable) NSW beer

Post 2

Evil Roy: Maestro of the Thingite Orchestra, Knight Errant of the Thingite Cause, Prince of Balwyniti, Aussie Researchers A59204

Mclaren Vale was the other winery region I was thinking of. Don't know if I'll change that bit yet. I quite like it the way it is.

Hmmmmmmm. A NSW beer that might have been brewed in SA. Sounds suspiciously like they dredged the Murray River and sent it to SA as penance for Southwark!

*heads off to the bottle shop*

smiley - winkeye


wine regions and (drinkable) NSW beer

Post 3

Evil Roy: Maestro of the Thingite Orchestra, Knight Errant of the Thingite Cause, Prince of Balwyniti, Aussie Researchers A59204

Quick question.

Tashalls has given me a great story about William Creek, but believes that it is in NSW. I think it may be in SA but don't have a map here at work. Any ideas?

smiley - smiley


wine regions and (drinkable) NSW beer

Post 4

Phoenician Trader

A quick look at [URL removed by moderator] showed that William Creek is between Coober Pedy Oodnadatta and Marree. This would put it in SA, but the map isn't conclusive. I think that the original Gahn railway line went through William Creek (which would definately put it in SA).

If you have never tried DA (Dinner Ale) it is well worth hunting down. Like most good beers in this country, many shops in NSW don't stock it. Out of interest has anyone ever tried Southwark Stout? It is almost as good as Coopers. Admittedly, it is the only drinkable beer to come out of the Southwark Brewry...

Are there any other Australian Stouts widely available?

PT


wine regions and (drinkable) NSW beer

Post 5

Evil Roy: Maestro of the Thingite Orchestra, Knight Errant of the Thingite Cause, Prince of Balwyniti, Aussie Researchers A59204

Had the DA a couple of years back and, if memory serves me correctly, it is quite a nice little brew.

I'll give you one tip. CUB couldn't make a good stout to save themselves! There's a couple of bars/breweries in Fitzroy & Carlton which make some good little stouts. The trouble is that they give them strange names, which means that after two or three (dozen) of them, you have no hope of remembering the name. Might have to head in there this weekend.

Okay, I'll try the Southwark Stout. I imagine the silence will be deafening in my local bottle shop when I ask for Southwark! If you're fooling with me, I will hunt you down and make you drink CUB stout!

smiley - smileysmiley - musicalnote


wine regions and (drinkable) NSW beer

Post 6

Phoenician Trader

I was drinking Southwark stout myself last Saturday night (it was a West End pub - Union Hotel in Waymouth St) and it was pleasently good. I still drink Coopers Best Extra Stout by choice.

If you follow up with your threat and I am what I eat (and drink) would that mean that I could become a CUB Stout (again)? (OK it sounds better than it reads, and it sounds pretty bad).
I can't think of one CUB beer I would want to drink when I was sober (Crown has no complexity in its flavours, it is hideously expensive and it is the best of a bad bunch)

PT


wine regions and (drinkable) NSW beer

Post 7

QCV

It would seem alot of wine regions were missing, NSW, Mudgee regions is almost as big and well known, as the hunter and still actually surviving, and the Orange/Cowra region appears to be taking over from both, and one region which I don't know if it is in NSW or ACT (Murrunbridgee - or something like that)


wine regions and (drinkable) NSW beer

Post 8

Phoenician Trader

Some of the western NSW wine districts really to need a write up. Their wines often have a complexity of flavour which some of the SA efforts lack and which makes them unpopular in an industry driven by fashion.

If anybody would like to write them up, I would be happy (very happy) to add my tuppence worth!

PT


Key: Complain about this post