Update Midland, Michigan, USA

2 Conversations

Ions and chemical flasks.

Overview

Midland, Michigan is a smallish city in the Tri-city region of Michigan. The town was given the name Midland because it is a very mediocre area, caught between the exciting urban area in the south, consisting of Detroit, Lansing, and Grand Rapids and the gorgeous wilderness still preserved in the northern half of the lower peninsula. The population as of 2000 was 41,685 people.

Midland is also the headquarters of Dow Chemical and Dow Corning, which support most of the population. Dow Chemical is the second largest chemical manufacturer in the world. It is often joked that the smog from the Dow plants have formed a "bubble" around Midland which protects it from heavy storms. Crime in Midland is almost unheard of, and most people are fairly kind to one another overall (though it is not guaranteed that they will be willing to pick up hitchhikers).

Tourism


The city of Midland recently installed numerous ugly green and red signs throughout the town intended to help tourists to find their way around. The signs were most likely made intentionally ugly so they would be difficult to miss. It is doubtful that there are enough tourists to make this action worthwhile. The sign erected at the Midland city limit identifies it as the "City of Modern Explorers," whatever that's supposed to mean.

Famous Residents

  • Herbert H. Dow, in a city that bares so much of his touch, it is unsurprising that Midland's most famous resident is the founder of Dow Chemical. Fired from his first job for spending funds trying to improve the process of electrolysis he moved to Midland and started Dow Chemical. He broke the near monopoly that was held by a German Cartel by buying the products that they were selling at a reduced rate to force him into Bankruptcy, and then selling them in other countries.

  • Cathy Guisewite, a famous comedian who invented the famed comic strip "Cathy". A cartoon based on a career woman dealing with: relationships, work, food and her mother - or "the four basic guilt groups" as Cathy puts it. Awarded the Reuben award for best Cartoonist of the year she has also been presented with seven honorary degrees to accompany her English bachelor.

  • Alden B. Dow, the son of the aforementioned Herbert Dow, he was a famed Architect. Soon after graduating from University he founded a novel way of building using unit blocks. Instead of cubes he stacked together six-sided rhombuses that were incredibly strong when placed together. He later designed a town in Texas for his father's company that lacked a single straight road. He was honoured as the best architect in Michigan in 1983, and died soon after.

Restaurants

Midland includes a significant number of restaurant chains, including Fazoli's, Olive Garden, McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Arby's, Taco Bell, Domino's, Pizza Hut, Cottage Inn Pizza, Little Ceasar's, Subway, Asian Express, Pi's, and Big Boy. There are also some local restaurants, such as Good Times Pizza. Many of these restaurants are conveniently located in the same area and some have second locations on the other end of town.

Shopping

Midland has a fairly large mall, including Barnes & Noble, Target, JC Penny, Elder Beerman, Kohl's, Radio Shack, Payless, Sears, and a food court with several restaurants. Meijer, Walmart, Best Buy, Office Max, Staples are located nearby. There are also some local stores, including LaLonde's Market, Glover's Pharmacy, and Collector's Corner.

Hotels

There are a number of hotels in Midland, they fill the various niches with accomadation for both business visitors and low-cost student dives. The H hotel is a well equipped five star accommodation in central Midland. On the other end of the spectrum there the typical spread of low rent inns with cheap prices for basic rooms.

Schools

There are a number of schools in Midland. At the college level is Northwood University. There are two high schools, H. H. Dow High School and Midland High School. The three middle schools are Central, Jefferson, and Northeast. There are numerous elementary schools, including Plymouth, Adams, Eastlawn, and Parkdale. All are a part of Midland Public Schools and are usually compared favorably with the schools of nearby communities.

Weather

There is a saying among Midland's inhabitants: "If you don't like the weather in Michigan, just wait five minutes." This seems true for the most part. In summer, temperatures tend to range from 70°F to 80°F and occasionally into the 90's. In winter, it is often around 30 degrees, occasionally sinking to 20°F. Very low temperatures are are but do occur, though only in deep midwinter. Spring and Autumn are in between, usually around the 50's or 60's. Precipitation during all seasons is moderate.

Sites of Interest

  • One of the best known sites is the Dow Diamond, home of the Great Lakes Loons baseball team. While here you could pop in and see Lou E. Loon, the energetic bird who is the ambassador of fun for the team. One of the many "dow" organisations, it had its naming rights bought by Dow Chemicals.

  • Another well-known landmark is Dow Gardens, an expansive and beautiful chunk of nature which charges a fairly low admission charge. The Gardens are a popular place for pictures on the days of Homecoming and Prom. The grounds, over 110 acres in total, have been supported by the Dow family for since 1899.

  • Near Dow Gardens is the Midland Center for the Arts, a place which frequently exhibits plays and other performances in its expansive auditorium. The Center includes a small 3-level museum of science, with a traveling exhibit on the third floor. The centre is the base for over 2000 volunteers who help the community and tens of thousands of visitors every year.

  • Just a stone's throw away from the Center is the Grace A. Dow Memorial Library. The library is a fairly large building with an excellent and thorough collection of books and other media. Internet access is available to card holders over the age of 18. Even if you don't have a library card, you can still browse the collection and stop for a snack in the small cafe.

  • The Midland Community Center is home of several activities, including indoor swimming, racquetball, basketball, and various children's programs. Dance and swimming lessons are available. A small fee is required to access any one specific area of the building, or a slightly larger fee for an anywhere-in-the-building pass. Memberships are available which provide a discount for frequent visitors. Near the mall area is NCG Cinema, a multi-theater cineplex which gets its movies upon their release. Studio M has two theaters and is slightly cheaper, but does not receive new movies until the first-run theaters are done with them.

  • Also of interest is the Pere Marquette Rail Trail, an old train track which has been paved over. All non-motor vehicles are welcome on the trail, free of charge. The trail passes near the Farmer's Market, Emerson Skate Park, and the Tridge, a three-way pedestrian bridge which crosses both the Chippewa and Tittabawasee rivers. The park at one of the ends is a popular place to view the 4th of July fireworks.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A58990215

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more