Not Scientific Science

1 Conversation

Drop of Water: Reloaded

Longtime readers of Not Scientific Science may remember the article 'A Spring Called: Drop of Water', in which I explained the deformation and rebound process of a drop of water when it strikes a non-absorbent surface. 'A Spring Called: Drop of Water' was my second article for Not Scientific Science, and probably formed part of the set of articles which I most enjoyed writing. It was thus of no surprise that the minuscule article entitled 'No Slash Liquid' in the June 2005 issue of Scientific American magazine caught my eyes.

The article recounts how researchers from the University of Chicago took air in the equation to explain why splashes occurred. According to the researchers, air was an overlooked factor as far as splashes were concerned.

The researchers experimented with alcohol drops, which they released onto glass slides in a completely shut chamber with adjustable air pressure. The impacts were also filmed at a rate of 47,000 video frames per second.

The observations were impressive and completely unexpected. When at a pressure of 17% of atmospheric pressure, the drop makes absolutely no splash at all when crashing onto the glass slides. The researchers also found that lighter gases, like helium, diminished splashing and that heavier gases, krypton being one of them, enhanced it.

According to the University of Chicago team, the drop does not result in a splash on crashing because at low pressures, or with lighter gases, the compressed gas that forms between the glass surface and the drop just before the crash resists the drop's motion downwards less vigorously than it would under normal conditions (that is, atmospheric pressure and 'normal' air).

The significant resistance imposed by that compressed gas under normal conditions has the result of forcing up the drop's film edge, breaking it up to produce a nice splash. But, at reduced pressures or in heavier gases, as the compressed gas resists less vigorously, the drop's film edge is not broken and no splash occurs.

My latest ambition, I should think, is to become a splashologist — but please don't google that word just now.



This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.

If you've got any ideas on topics I could write in this column, just drop a note!

Other science issues (not too complicated don't you worry) can be found at:

WORLD SCIENCE

Not Scientific Science
Archive

NotScientific

15.09.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A5696850

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more