A Conversation for The Wedding Present - The Band

A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 1

Catwoman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A565247
The Wedding Present were one of the greatly ignored 'alternative' bands, but were in fact genre-leaders and responsible for influencing many other artists, such as Ash. Mainly remembered for releasing a new single every month during 1992 their career actually stretched from 1985 up until their last show in 1997, providing the nation with catchy, beautiful, yet at times downright aggressive love songs. Unlike 'Five' or 'Westlife' the world needs to know more about original and uncompromising artists such as The Wedding Present.


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 2

Frankie Roberto

Faultless Entry.

My only comments would be to change the title so that it is clear they are a band (e.g. 'The Wedding Present - A rock band'), and to perhaps find some links to add in.

Well done! smiley - smiley


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 3

Zaphod II

Excellent piece of research on what sounds like a seminal Band. The smell of ambition and raw talent of TWP, and their vicissitudes (ups & downs to you and me) came across with startling clarity. Well done John Peel for giving them plenty of support. Even though I didn't know them before, I certainly do now. Well laid out and structured. With a few minor changes, I pronounce it a sure-fire hit.


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 4

Catwoman

Thanks for your comments, Frankie, your wish is my command.


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 5

Frankie Roberto

Did you update it to make the bands' names in bold? Looks good.

I'd reccommend it now, if I could (but I'm not a scout).


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 6

Catwoman

Actually Zaphod, now that I've thought about it a bit more I really do appreciate all the comments you made. I regret now not giving your Tonks entry a more thorough read so I will do so asap. Unfortunately I'm just being booted off this machine in favour of something called 'work'.

I've implmented most of the changes you suggested but I haven't used TWP throughout as an abreviation. It wasn't commonly used by fans as it often led to confusion between The Weddoes (a nickname I refuse to use) and fellow bands The Wolfgang Press and The Weather Prophets. I only used TWP a couple of times to escape from using 'The Wedding Present', 'the band' or 'they' again.


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 7

Frankie Roberto

Might be better to see if you can take it out completely. Took me a few seconds to figure it out so detracts from the flow of the narrative.


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 8

Catwoman

Tis done!


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 9

Frankie Roberto

Looks finished!

Any scouts watching??


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 10

GreyDesk

Hello Scouts...

This is a really good entry about a truly influential band. Their songs were regularly chosen as the best new Indie music around for that year by fans of the John Peel show (http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A457094) all the way through the 1980's.

This entry could form a reference site for many other music related entries to come on bands from the 80's, 90's, 00's and beyondsmiley - smiley


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 11

Frankie Roberto

Nice plug... smiley - smiley


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 12

GreyDesk

I've reread the guide entry, and yes I still like it because its really good.

Oh, look its suddenly gone to the top of the Peer Review page. Now how did that happensmiley - winkeye


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 13

Catwoman

You know, I never realised that would happen.

smiley - biggrinsmiley - cat


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 14

GreyDesk

Yeah, but after only 28 minutes it drops to fifth.

Oh no, I'm wrong. Its top againsmiley - biggrin


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 15

Catwoman

Well I'll be darned. Would you just look at that.

smiley - biggrinsmiley - cat


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 16

GreyDesk

What, that you're eighteenth on the Peer Review listsmiley - winkeye


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 17

Catwoman

Good grief, am I really?

smiley - biggrinsmiley - cat


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 18

GreyDesk

Actually you're STILL eighteenthsmiley - smiley

The Peer Review thread has slowed down, as I'm posting this 3+ hours after you. The last time I posted and you were eighteenth it was only 50 minutes or so.

Actually I think I ought to reread the article and post up something to develop it further (which INHO will be tough to do). Us sitting here and posting "fan" mail to just push this article up the Peer Review thread probably won't endear it to the Scouts.


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 19

Catwoman

You're probably right there. I wonder if it'll reach the bottom of the PR list?

smiley - cat


A565247 - The Wedding Present

Post 20

kabads

You could be wrong there, I've read it and like it, and will be recommending it if no one beats me to it. It is an excellent portrayal of that band that I grew up with and miss to some extent.

Perhaps you would like to add a comment on their live performances - i went to see them few times. I remember that they made the headlines with me and my mates at the time for the 19 minute duration of one of their gigs (which we considered a rip off).

Thanks for a good entry.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Wedding Present - The Band

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more