A Conversation for About me!

Most Specialist One

Post 1

Stella

I'm curious how you earned the honor of being Researcher 1. I'm quite certain amazing feats of derring-do were combined with a chivalrous, yet cheekily noble, personality to warrant this wonderful designation being levied on you. Do tell.


Most Specialist One

Post 2

Slacker

It's quite simple really. Everyone who works at TDV has a researcher number which is less than 1000. When we set up all the staff accounts, everyone was asked what number they wanted. I was just the first to ask for the number 1.

As for feats of derring-do, the main one I did was staying awake for about 36 hours sub-editing all the original h2g2 entries in time for the launch on live TV.

Tim


Most Specialist One

Post 3

The Kitcat

So working for TDV is not only good for your health but it gets you great privileges that increase your social stature smiley - smiley


Most Specialist One

Post 4

Slacker

Pass.


Most Specialist One

Post 5

Stella

And now you have the comfort of knowing you're number 1 in the world at something and have the battle scars to prove it. Thirty-six hours, eh? That's pretty impressive. My personal long was only around 24 hours. Though I'm wondering, if you were editing entries, at what point did they start getting more bizarre then they originally were? Maybe next time you should just have a friend tie a damsel to train tracks and dash to the rescue.


Most Specialist One

Post 6

Slacker

Well, you may like to see what I wrote at the end of it, in which case, see the text on this page:

http://www.h2g2.com/U42

Apparently it was 38 hours, not 36.

Tim


Most Specialist One

Post 7

Joe aka Arnia, Muse, Keeper, MathEd, Guru and Zen Cook (business is booming)

That sounds like the essay I wrote for English once... 34 hours awake... by the end of it, I was reading everything into anything smiley - smiley

It got me an A* too...


Joe aka Arnia
smiley - fish
Profesional fish lobber


Most Specialist One

Post 8

Stella

That was a great ending to your marathon. I love the rabbits. I'll always be nice for young rabbits. It's hard to believe you actually underestimated the sleep-deprivation period instead of overestimating it.

I just, finally, moments ago finished the Starship Titanic game. I'd stepped away from it for quite some time. Thank you. This is probably a common, annoying question, but why the heck is the cast of Friends listed in the credits? I went back and saw you get a response about actors and friends if you type in Courtney Cox or something, but you get the same response if you type in Harrison Ford. Well, just curious.

Andrea


Most Specialist One

Post 9

Slacker

I should really just write a short article on this and post it to whoever asks about this in future to save my typing it over and over.

Anyway, in the last, dark days of Starship Titanic development, there was a lot of time spent by the development team at the office, much of which involved waiting for builds/CD burns to finish. We filled this time by watching videos, mostly videos of 'Friends', and went through about 3 series of Friends - twice. It's what kept us sane. Possibly. It also explains why we will occasionally exclaim the word "Tartlets!" for no apparent reason.

Tim


Key: Complain about this post