A Conversation for What do the Gurus do?

A little more information, please.

Post 1

David R. Litwin

I'd like to know what is meant when it is said one should be bery familliar with the FAQ. DO you mean we should not give a response but rather link to the appropriate place, or, is it that we should be familliar so that we can answer ourselves (withought having to find some resources)?

Now, a little bit more about my knowledge of this site.

I will admit that I don't know every thing about it but I know quite a bit; especcially with the GuideML (my weakness is probably the tables, but, I'm not too bad in that either). However, I do look at the Clinic some times. Does this mean that I am not qualified enough? I think that means I know in the techincal point of view. Am I correct in thinking this?


A little more information, please.

Post 2

Pastey

Really if you know what you know and are willing to help, that's the only qualification.
Okay, so an indepth knowledge is wonderfull and all that, but hey who knows everything? Myself apart obviously smiley - winkeye
Knowing where to find the answers are point someone there quickly is better than no-one answering at all waiting for someone who does know the answer to come along with it.
smiley - rose


A little more information, please.

Post 3

Mina

Thanks Pastey. smiley - cheers

Gurus should be familiar with the FAQ so that they can answer questions with the right answer. The answer can take the form of a link to the relevant FAQ, or by giving the answer yourself, and it doesn't matter if you have to go and look it up yourself first.

If you know some GuideML, then that's fine. The trick is to know what you dont know, but to know someone who does, or where to find the answer. I still have to refer to the GuideML clinic myself. smiley - smiley


A little more information, please.

Post 4

MaW

When I find a question someone hasn't already answered, I generally am able to answer it from my own knowledge, or make a guess (which I tell them is a guess!)

Sometimes I look things up in the help pages, and a couple of times I've had to call on the other Gurus for help. Between us we can normally figure out something. Familiarity with how the site works is fairly useful, but it really depends on what part of the site you tend to cover as a Guru. I'm reasonably well-informed of things like GuideML and the DNA engine, so I tend to stick to that kind of thing.


A little more information, please.

Post 5

David R. Litwin

Ahh... Very interesting... Alright. How about I apply now and get the status (or not, as you see fit) in a month or so, which will also co-incide with my anniversary-of-being-on-H2G2? It will be a gift to me and to the community at large. It will also give me time to learn as much as I can about that to which I do not know. Or, perhaps you do not take applications on hold?

Actually, here's a question: why is the puff smiley a puff? What is this supposed to symbolize? Smoking on a cigar? Or is it just for ammoozment?


A little more information, please.

Post 6

David R. Litwin

Never mind; I found out. Sorry to bother you. smiley - puff


A little more information, please.

Post 7

MaW

Becoming a Guru is an excellent present, no matter what time of year.


A little more information, please.

Post 8

David R. Litwin

But of course. But, I figure out that, why not give me being some time to get more knowledgable and have the Guru-dom bestowed upon me at that time? I'm also a perfectionist. smiley - winkeye


A little more information, please.

Post 9

Mina

It's easier for me if you apply when you are ready. If you apply now and want to wait some time I'm likely to forget. Just come and volunteer when you are ready. smiley - ok


A little more information, please.

Post 10

David R. Litwin

Aye. Fair enough. How about the 21 o' Septembre?


A little more information, please.

Post 11

Mina

Just post when you are ready. I only recruit once a week (or less if no one volunteers) though.


A little more information, please.

Post 12

David R. Litwin

Good God! Alright. In that case, I'll di it on the Sunday of that week.


A little more information, please.

Post 13

Mina

smiley - ok Sounds good to me.


A little more information, please.

Post 14

David R. Litwin

Alright. See you then!


A little more information, please.

Post 15

MaW

smiley - biggrin


A little more information, please.

Post 16

David R. Litwin

smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post