A Conversation for Public Transit in Boston (MBTA)

Boston Public Transit

Post 1

Miao Kitty

Well, I noticed this was missing, so I dove right in and wrote an (long, detailed) entry on Boston's T system, one of the more quirky subways. smiley - smiley Included a brief overview of the other MBTA systems as well. I've written it with complete T novices in mind. This is the first entry I've written, feedback is much appreciated, thanks! smiley - biggrin
smiley - blackcat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A531073


Boston Public Transit

Post 2

xyroth

I think mentioning the relative costs is a good idea, but using precise figures makes the entry likely to date very quickly.
Also, you have the same linkin as "official website" and "MBTA website". I would recommend that you pick one and use it consistantly.
Other than that it seems fine. smiley - smiley


Boston Public Transit

Post 3

Miao Kitty

Thanks xyroth smiley - biggrin,
You're right about the links, I didn't really ken how the sidebar reference list worked. As for the fares, they are pretty steady, and the latest raise was pretty recent, so I don't expect it to go up for another 5-10 years at least. I thought just marking the prices would be easier comparison...maybe if I linked to a the current fare list someplace? Thanks again!
smiley - blackcat


Boston Public Transit

Post 4

Miao Kitty

P.S. The section on the Green Line wasn't too confusing? I wasn't sure.
smiley - blackcat


Boston Public Transit

Post 5

Mr. Cogito

Hello,

Nice entry to see in the works. This should have no problems getting into the edited guide when you're finished with it. I only have a few other things to mention, that you may want to think about including:

1. The weird thing about the Green line is that they are almost like limited-stop buses when you get out far enough. You pay your fare to the driver when you board. Everything else you pay at the station. They also are not really handicapped-friendly.

2. I found it useful to know that all the lines converge into a square around Downtonwn crossing. This means it's at most two transfers to get from one line to another.

3. You might want to quickly mention that the Blue Line goes out to the airport, while the Red Line connects to the Bus/Train stations at South Station. Useful for those visiting Boston on a budget.

4. Also, isn't the Red line the only line into Cambridge, Somerville, and other areas on the North side of the Charles River?

5. Have you ever heard the song "Charlie on the MTA"? It was a protest song about fare hikes in the Sixties I think.

Otherwise, nothing really to say. You're off to a great start, and don't worry too much about the Green Line seeming confusing. It is.

Yours,
Jake


Boston Public Transit

Post 6

Miao Kitty

Hi Jake,
Thanks for the suggestions! smiley - smiley As for number 4, Lechmere is in Cambridge, but northward had only the Red Line. This is true of most of the surrounding towns though, ie Charlestown, Brookline, Revere, etc.
smiley - blackcat


Boston Public Transit

Post 7

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Hi :-) I've taken the freedom to put this beautiful entry up for Peer Review: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F48874?thread=129377 Stay tuned, it will make it into the Guide Bossel (Scout)


Thread Moved

Post 8

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'The h2g2 Writing Workshop' to 'Public Transit in Boston (MBTA)'. This Conversation has been moved because there's already a current discussion about this entry in Peer Review at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F48874?thread=129377


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more