The h2g2 Straight Edge FAQ

3 Conversations

Coming soon!

To compliment the developing pages on straight edge here on h2g2, the founding members of the as-yet-unnamed group of straightedgers on h2g2 have decided to compile a FAQ to answer many, frequently asked, questions about the movement and its philosophy.

In the mean time...

Check out another great sXe FAQ at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/cultures/straight-edge-faq, or alternatively read the Guide Entry on it.

Straight Edge on h2g2

I don't listen to 'straight edge music'. Can I still call myself straight edge?

In theory, yes. Straight edge isn't about liking one type of music or another - it's about the way you live your life. However, a lot of straight edge bands are really great, so it's not surprising that most straightedgers like at least a few straight edge bands. It's also through the music that people are introduced to the scene and its principals.

Comrade Rumble said: "I think some people would say that an appreciation of the music is neccesary but I don't think so. The music is mainly there as a fuel to support people (*mixes metaphor*) and whatever does this for you is OK."

Isn't straight edge just about following a big set of rules? That's not very punk.

No, it isn't. Of course, there are the main prinicples which are shared by most 'true' straightedgers - not drinking, smoking, taking drugs or having promiscuous sex. But even these aren't 'rules'. You don't become straight edge and THEN follow the 'rules' - that's not the point at all. You become straight edge because you already do these things.

When discussing this point in a forum, Comrade Rumble said "As for the set of rules there isn't really one, it's just that the natural elitism of most people makes them want to prove they are better at being straight edge than other people. "...there are no set of rules, I'm not telling you what to think..."."

What's the difference between being teetotal and sXe?

Comrade Rumble commented "I think it lies in wanting to keep control of yourself and not rely on substances as crutches."

THIS FAQ IS STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS. IF YOU HAVE ANY1 QUESTIONS YOU WOULD LIKE ANSWERED PLEASE START A THREAD ON THIS PAGE. YOUR QUESTION WILL BE ANSWERED TO THE BEST OF OUR ABILITIES2 AND ADDED TO THE FAQ.

1Not ANY question, obviously. It has to relate to straight edge in some way...2Note: Please do not overestimate 'our abilities'. To avoid dissappointment, it is reccommended that you think very little of them.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A528888

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more