The Straight Edge Philosophy

4 Conversations

The 'straight edge' philosophy is fundamentally one of abstinence from a few things which the world seems to find so important, but which may actually be hinderances rather than neccessities. Its basic principals were outlined in the lyrics below, written by the forefathers of the philosophy, punk band Minor Threat.

(I) Don't smoke,

Don't drink,

Don't f**k,

At least I can f**king think

(I) can't keep up

can't keep up

can't keep up

out of step with the world

~ 'Out of Step (With the world)', by Minor Threat

It should be made clear at this point that profanity is not essential to the straight edge lifestyle - please bear in mind that its promoters were both young and angry.

Minor Threat

In 1980, a Washington DC hardcore punk band called Minor Threat released some music whose message and inspiration would begin a new movement in youth culture.

While the punk scene was still taking off, and new bands continued what they perceived The Sex Pistols to be about in the UK (anarchy, outrageousness, and self-destructive nihilism1), the US underground punk bands were instead busy getting very agitated about the wrongs of society and were literally screaming for change (The Dead Kennedys being a prime example).

This was brought to a new level when, instead of singing about the naughty naughty government and how unpleasant everybody is, Minor Threat's frontman Ian MacKaye chose to write songs about the pressures of youth culture. In the underground scene of DC, he watched as kids mindlessly developed drug habits, beat each other up from too much alcohol, and sold their lungs to tobacco companies. And he wanted out - which was the general feeling of his previous band, the Teen Idles, in which he played bass.

I've got the Helix2

On Minor Threat's first release was a song entitled "Straight Edge", whose lyrics describe the band's approach to drugs. According to rock legend, the name for the bands' choice of lifestyle came to their bass player as they were drawing a local promotional poster. He compared their "no s**t" attitude to the straight edge of the ruler he was using. And lo, the term 'Straight Edge' was coined.

There is also another, equally uninteresting explaination for the term. Ian MacKaye originally wanted to call Minor Threat "Straight" because he wanted to show how they were going to 'push' the band as far as possible. Instead, he just wrote a song called "Straight Edge" which "championed the individual":


i'm a person just like you

but i've got better things to do

than sit around and f**k my head

hang out with the living dead

snort white s**t up my nose

pass out at the shows

i don't even think about speed

that's something i just don't need


i've got the straight edge


i'm a person just like you

but i've got better things to do

than sit around and smoke dope

'cause i know i can cope

laugh at the thought of eating ludes

laugh at the thought of sniffing glue

always gonna keep in touch

never want to use a crutch


i've got the straight edge

~ 'Straight Edge', by Minor Threat

The basic idea behind the straight edge philosophy

In it's most simplistic form, the ideas behind straight edge are summed up in the words of 'Out of Step'. Minor Threat did not do anything they considered addictive or to be bad for them, physically or mentally. They did not require a metaphoric "crutch" (a favourite harcore punk cliché) in order to get through life.

A common misconception of the band is that because they did not have sex, Minor Threat were all celibate - which is wrong! THe lyrics simply mean that they did not have casual or promiscuous sex, which can often cause a lot of harm.

The straight edge ideals of Minor Threat, and fellow straight edge bands such as 'Gorilla Biscuits' promoted freedom of thought and the motivation to go against the crowd if what the crowd does is not always as great as they may tell you. Some people make them out to be stringent and 'anti-fun', but there are no actual rules, the lifestyle is entirely down to the discretion of those who choose it. Ian MacKaye became so agitated with people's misinterpretation of Out Of Step as a list of rules that Minor Threat re-released it with the words "this is no set of rules, I'm not telling you what to say or do..." spoken during an instrumental section. It should also be noted that people who make out Minor Threat and associates to have been 'anti fun' were probably part of the 'crowd' in the first place.

sXe

Minor Threat soon developed a cult following of like-minded individuals, who called themselves 'straight edgers' and were distinguished by a black 'X' they wore on one hand. The black 'X', now a sign synonymous with straight edge (which is often shortened to 'sXe'), is said to have originated in the Washington club scene. Many punk and rock shows were 'All Age', so even children were allowed in. However, to prevent underage kids buying alcohol, they were marked with an 'X' on their hand in permanent marker at the door.

Straight edge people of any age began marking their hands with a black X, to distinguish themselves from the rest and as a mark of their ideals.

Straight edge today

After three years of pure energy, Minor Threat disbanded, leaving behind them a legacy of punk history and a section of the youth no longer content with mindless conformity.

sXe in the Media

Since its inception, straight edge has developed into something "big". However, what the public sees of it is likely to be negative. Most news relating to it is usually of gangs of straight edge bullies attacking people who smoke. As one person, hopefully in jest, said on the Straight Edge FAQ3 "I am a passive sXe... I never want to fight anyone. That is why I always carry a gravity knife with me, so If someone f**ks with me, than I can wipe them out quickly (although I hope I will never have to!)". This was not a reference to punishing those who did not agree with the philospohy, but an example of the violence which is often assocaited with the movement. This is a very worrying reflection of people's attitudes, and an example of the reason the members of Minor Threat wish to be disassociated with the movement - they never promoted violence, intolerance or narrow-mindedness. Luckily, these qualities rarely apply to most straight edgers.

Straight edge evolved and deformed

Straight edge has now become, to some people, more than just a way of describing their lifestyle. To them, it is a label - you've either "got the edge" or you haven't. If you slip up - are found drinking alcohol for example - then you run the risk of being shunned by an 'elite' group who will no longer accept you as straight edge. Others think that to be straight edge, you must also wear certain types of clothes, and like only a particular type of music. What was once a name for individual thinking and a way to avoid hurting yourself and others has, in some places, become the very thing that it began by breaking down.

Another group of people have taken straight edge to their choice of food, too. Vegans are a large section of the straight edge subculture, prompted by bands such as Earth Crisis. While Veganism isn't part of the established straight edge lifestyle, it is often associated with it. Straight edge Vegans say that this is because once you begin to study what you put into your body, Veganism is a logical progression from the choices you make being straight edge.

Other people take the "no drugs" aspect so far that they do not take any medication (arguably a very silly idea indeed) and others abstain from even addictive substances such as tea and coffee.

The relevancy of straight edge today

Ignoring its unfortunate extremes, the original premise behind the straight edge lifestyle is still inspirational today. Peer pressure is just as strong - if not stronger - as it was in the 1980s to fit in with The Crowd. Many teenagers do what they think is 'cool' to become or stay popular without considering the effect their choices may have on them - smoking, for example, is still very common among teenagers.

It is likely that straight edgers will 'lose the edge' when they are adult - after all, there is nothing inherently wrong with drinking, for example. But hopefully, by this time some of the pressures of youth will have been lifted, and they will have built up enough confidence to say "no, this is not how I want to live" when they are put in compromising situations.

Straight edge offers teenagers an opportunity to break out of the cycle, and make them realise that they have the ability to control their lives and a responsibility to look out for those around them. It is a shame that the ideals of the philosophy are tainted by the narrow-mindedness of a few individuals.

Straight Edge on the Web

  • True 'til Death - a BBC Radio 1 Documentary on the Straight Edge movement, including interviews with many of its founders and fans.

1Which is more of a misconception than people may realise. Readers who are interested are recommended 'The Sex Pistols - The Filth and the Fury' documentary which tells their story and is very enlightening.2Helix is a brand of ruler available in the UK3The unofficial guide to everything straight edge

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A487307

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more