A Conversation for The Straight Edge Philosophy

A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 1

shrinkwrapped

http://www.h2g2.com/A487307

What is Straight Edge? How did it come about? Why do people do it?
I tell you, then you tell me how to improve my telling you. THAT's the beauty of the Peer Review.

C'mon Scouts, let's see what you're made of.


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 2

Martin Harper

cheese, mostly.

ahh - so this'd be an entry on Straight Edge, the philosophy, not Straight Edge, the geometrical instrument...

I think it starts off a little slow - it took me a long time to realsie you weren't talking about a band, weren't talking about a type of music, but were talking about a philosophy - halfway through the entry, in fact. This may or may not be a sign I need to drink more coffee... smiley - winkeye

I think you'd be better off dropping the first song - not really relevant. Instead, I'd say you should start off by saying quickly what straight edge *is* (or perhaps, should be) - only a couple paras, perhaps - then go on to talk about the history of straight edge - and finally talk about what it has become.

interesting entry - I saw some stuff about this in the telegraph earlier in the year.


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 3

Mr. Cogito

Hello,

Not bad. I'd have to agree a little bit with the previous poster that it could almost be broken up into two separate entries. There's Hardcore music (or harDCore as sometimes we liked to call it in DC), which is a fascinating entry in its own right (style, politics, and social consciousness), and then there's the Straight Edge philosophy. But maybe that's just a crazy suggestion.

Interestingly enough, Ian McKaye is not considered straight edge by some. As presented in the article, Straight Edge seems like a very rigid moral code. However, he feels that it's okay to drink a beer every once in a while or such. It's more an argument for moderation in that case (as opposed to the self-destructive nihilism of punk). Others feel differently. Some bands have even extended Straight Edge to include a Vegan lifestyle. You mention it a little bit in the article, but it might be interesting to extend it out a little bit. The FAQ goes into this a little bit.

Otherwise, it's a nice article. You link to some good resources, and I liked some of the explanations (like the Xs on the wrists). It also made me a little bit nostalgic for the music of my youth, listening to hardcore and growing up in DC in the 80s, so that's a good sign.

Yours,
Jake


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 4

shrinkwrapped

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Lucinda - yeah, I think it starts off a little slow too. I'll fix that...

And to make it a little less confusing, I'll call it "The Straight Edge Philosophy" so people have a better understanding of what I'm on about.

I don't think I will split it into two entries, Jake, as I haven't really mentioned enough about the early hardcore scene to make it worthwhile... I think it would be great if someone wrote an entry on it, though. Hint hint...

Ian MacKaye isn't considered to be Straight Edge by _himself_! I wasn't trying to make sXe appear a totally rigid moral code in the article, but the fact is a lot of Edgers take it VERY seriously, and I tried to make it balanced... that's what I was talking about in the 'evolved and deformed' section. I've read stuff where Ian is saying that he never meant it to be taken as far as some have... in the rerelease of Out of Step he takes the mick a little and says "This is no set of rules, I'm not telling you what to say or do..." and then goes on about golf! Personally, I fall in the 'moderation' category you mentioned when it comes to drink (but not drugs etc). Do you think I have made it clear that, although a lot of Edgers are very stringent, not all are? I don't want to put it in a negetive (or overly positive) light - just give the facts.

If you have any more input or ideas PLEASE let me know, as you're bound to know more than me - coming from DC and growing up with it (lucky sod) and me coming from, uh, Basingstoke in England!

Oh yeah, I'll expand on the Veganism thing if I can, too.


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 5

Mr. Cogito

Hello,

Yeah, it's true. Some of them can get rather high and mighty about it. Don't take some of my comments too seriously, since they seem to be a little bit absurd now. I must have been on crack. smiley - blush And you're right, you do mention it. It's true, I don't have a problem with a drink or such, but it was a bit of a welcome response to the crazed nihilistic self-destruction of other punk acts at the time.

Actually, I think this article indicates that you know more about it than I do. I grew up in DC in the mid-to-late 80s (went to MacKaye's own Wilson High School in 1989), and Hardcore music was on a bit of decline then. I never really was into the sXe scene, and it was difficult to get into shows when you're under 18. Since 1989, I've been listening mostly to industrial music, so I can't really tell you much about after that.

My mother was very much into the music at the time, and we all needed something political as a response to the bleakness of the Reagan years. We used to listen to it in the car and listen to college radio to get the scoop. She was friends with some of the local bands (like Government Issue), and we were able to sometimes catch outside shows at Fort Reno. And we knew a few people at the local record shops.

Some punk bands we used to listen to (from DC and outside): Government Issue, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Scream, Stiff Little Fingers, Varukers, GBH, Ramones, etc.

Yours,
Jake


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 6

shrinkwrapped

I've only been getting into the hardcore scene for a few years - it all started with Minor Threat. I guess I've been straight edge since all my friends began drinking and loads of the younger kids at school thought they were cool because they smoked - I just never knew what the term meant.

I find old school punk so refreshing - I used to really like new wave, but now it's beginning to sound more and more meaningless and cheesy compared to the old stuff. Anyway, this has nothing to do with Peer Review, so I'll stop before I get removed or something! Thanks for the feedback.


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 7

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

This is not a catholic servicing, is it?
As long as we're sticking to the topic, why not bringing a bit of life into the Peer Review.
I had to read it twice because of the same difficulties as Lucinda pointed out -- what is it exactly about. An introduction plus rearranging the paragraphs would help a lot.

_______

BTW: Peer Review has made it to the 'five most busy conversations' today. Would you like to see that position as a standard? If so, please have a look at one or more of the other threads around here!


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 8

soeasilyamused, or sea

catholic servicing?! i think not.

i really like this article, i think it does a good job of explaining the straight edge philosophy without sounding too preachy.

*gives mr T a pat on the back*


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 9

shrinkwrapped

Why, thanks!

*notes 'sXe' nametag*

And then there were two... out of 69532.


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 10

soeasilyamused, or sea

*grin*

just thought i'd help spread the word... we should start a Straight Edge Society here on h2g2. after all, there are TONS of other societies out there for random purposes!


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 11

shrinkwrapped

Well, we could. I say, once we find at least one more like-minded researcher, we give it ago. I mean, we might be one of the few groups with some sort of _purpose_ (though that kinda goes against what most of us are doing here...). Until then, well, we may as well just be more of the Freaks!

*doesn't mention your haircut*



A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 12

soeasilyamused, or sea

[sea] okay... sounds good.

*goes off to recruit another researcher* smiley - winkeye


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 13

Salamander the Mugwump

I'd never heard of Straight Edge - the philosophy or the punk bands. I've sort of glanced at this thread a few times, just feeling mildly curious but I hate punk music so skimmed on by. But now I've read it and found it surprisingly interesting and think I should have looked sooner because it was worth reading. smiley - smiley

Can't help thinking this is probably how religions start. Don't suppose old JC had the Spanish Inquisition in mind when he went around telling people they should be nice to each other.


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 14

shrinkwrapped

"...feeling mildly curious but I hate punk music" smiley - cry *wail!*

How could you _say_ such a thing?! Ah, well, each to their own.

It is quite scary how some people sort of view it as a religion. I don't actually know anyone like it, but I've read about people who are obsessed with "the edge" and "losing the edge"... people can take it too far. Luckily, most of us don't.

"Don't suppose old JC had the Spanish Inquisition in mind when he went around telling people they should be nice to each other."

Yes - my view entirely. I mean, the whole reason sXe got a bad name is because some gimps used it as an excuse to wander around in gangs beating people up. That isn't the idea at all.


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 15

soeasilyamused, or sea

[sea] certainly not... unfortunately for society, there are always a few people who ruin a perfectly good philosophy by taking it too far... sad, really.


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 16

NexusSeven

Great entry! Speaking as someone who admires the principles (if not the application of same) of sXe, this is an informative and interesting look into one of the least understood youth movements of recent times. Now, if my willpower holds out, I might just go straight myself... smiley - smiley


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 17

soeasilyamused, or sea

*sea grins*

[sea] my best to you then, nexusseven... it's tough sometimes. but i'm sure you can do it, if you try...

*gives him a big hug*


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 18

soeasilyamused, or sea

anyone know what "deviant edge" (dYe) might be? i'm assuming it to be some variation of the sXe philosophy...


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 19

shrinkwrapped

Hmm, I've not heard of it, but I imagine it's either some kind of anti-sXe type group (who are pro the things sXe isn't), or is a militant faction i.e. goes around beating people up who smoke. In which case I don't like them at all - but it's just a guess.

Any info would be appreciated - then I could add it to the entry.


A487307 - Straight Edge

Post 20

soeasilyamused, or sea

okay... i asked because another researcher has that in his user name. i'm asking him what it means... and i'll let you know.


Key: Complain about this post