A Conversation for St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Peer Review: A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 1

plmoknqaz

Entry: St Andrews, Fife, Scotland - A510553
Author: Orcus - U94957

1. Leuchars rail station is only 5 miles away and buses to St. Andrews are at least every 20 minutes and generally timed to arrive shortly after trains. Obviously Sunday services are less frequent.

2. Shopping. Additions to golf shops are an excellent range of charity shops and a superb cheese shop.

3. Pubs. Ogston's no longer exists. Now called The Gin House. Expensive and home of the worst wall paper known to the entire Western World.

Westport: most expensive drinks in town. There is now only one pint of beer that costs less than £3.

Homelea no longer exists.

4. Restaurants. The Balaka is a Bangladeshi restaurant not Indian. It is the oldest in the country. The food is excellent and is worth the prices they charge for it.

5. Things not seen in St Andrews. Scottish people are commonly seen in St Andrews it's just that they are not as loud as the Americans and do not wear the pink shirts of the English.


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 2

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

You could add 'affordable housing' to that Not Seen list! My in-laws are having to move there with FIL's job (yes, something to do with golf smiley - winkeye) and it turns out that in the centre of town it is *hideously* expensive...

Will forward this on to them though, as they may find it useful. Depressing (in that MIL is worried that she won't have anything to do up there), but useful.


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 3

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Hmm there is an edited version of this entry here:
A563799

Plmoknaz - were you intending that this entry should be updated? If so you might want to pop over to the UpdateForum smiley - ok


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 4

Orcus

Restaurants. The Balaka is a Bangladeshi restaurant not Indian. It is the oldest in the country. The food is excellent and is worth the prices they charge for it.

Fair enough with the former and The latter is very debatable frankly.


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 5

Orcus

I think you missed a little gentle humour in there too.


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 6

Orcus

I just removed this from Peer review only to find that I do not have permission apparently smiley - erm


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 7

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

No, because someone else submitted it, it is up to them (or the eds) to remove it. This can't happen anymore, at least I don't think so - when stuff gets picked now the originals get marked Not For Review.

Don't know if scouts can recommend this as a move to entry right away, after all it can never make it through PR.


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 8

Orcus

I think it may need the eds help. It looks like the sender may be a fleeting hootoo member


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 9

Orcus

It may be worth considering rewording the automated message that was sent to me. It clearly states that if I don't want it to be in Peer Review then I can remove it. This is not true.


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 10

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

I wonder if they should remove the 'Submit for Review' button from entries altogether - because if you submit someone else's work you are not going to be able to deal with any of the PR comments on it as you are not the editor. Unless the entry is pretty much perfect that is - and even ones that *are* pretty much perfect will probably require a little tinkering.

I know in the olden days this was so that undicovered gems could make it to the front page, but that was when there were more editorial staff - these days it is probably better to copy the entry and add the appropriate author credits...


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 11

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Er, obviously I think the submit button should be there for the editor(s) of the entry, just not generally there all the time for everyone...


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 12

GreyDesk

Orcus, can you not shift it, even from the PR page?

If that is the case you had better visit <./>Feedback-Bugs</.> to report it.


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 13

Orcus

Good idea smiley - run

No, I twice tried to remove it from PR and twice it told me I didn't have permission.


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 14

Jim Lynn

I've just removed it. I've also reported the bug that it couldn't be removed.


A510553 - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

Post 15

Orcus

smiley - ta


Key: Complain about this post