A Conversation for Queen Victoria's Railway (10th birthday submission)

Queen Victoria's Railway - Royal Clarence Yard

Post 1

jayembee1969

In an entry on this subject, the old Royal Victoria Station at Royal Clarance Yard, Gosport is described as demolished.

A book on Queen Victoria's funeral train by Peter J Keat shows two aerial photos of Royal Clarence Yard in 1966.

At that time, the rails are apparantly still present and the long, thin roof of the station 'terminal' is visible. Half of the roof nearest the buffers is straight, but the roof line then curves as it followed the track.

On looking at the same site on Google Earth today, I can still a section of roof that appears identical to the straight section in the 1966 photo.

Does this part of the old Royal Victoria Station still remain or has it too been demolished since the Google Earth satellite photo was taken?

The station was used by Victoria and Albert since 1845, when travelling to and from Osborne House and also when reviewing the fleet as Spithead.

On 1 February 1901, the Royal Yacht Alberta transported Queen Victoria's coffin from the Isle of Wight to the adjacent pier. The coffin lay in the waiting room overnight before continuing on to Victoria Station, London and then Windsor the next day.


Queen Victoria's Railway - Royal Clarence Yard

Post 2

bobstafford

The referance used was as follows

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/g/gosport_clarence_yard/index.shtml

The author states the site was visited in 2003 any relevent information will be helpful as the infirmation appears to conflict.

smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Queen Victoria's Railway - Royal Clarence Yard

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more