Take 5

0 Conversations

Every day a number of newly approved entries are recommended on the h2g2 Main Page... These go by unnoticed to most users as they focus around their own page. This weekly article points out and reviews the ten most entertaining and interesting entries of the week, as far as I'm concerned anyway. My tastes do not reflect yours in any way and feel free to have completely different ideas from mine, it is after all a free country.

  • Catching Scheduled Transport. One of personal interest to me this one, as a good percentage of my life is spent listening to people rant about missing their trains. Now please take note... and stop shouting at me please!

  • Chopsticks. Not that annoying tune that just about everyone knows how to play on their Grannie's piano, but those things the Chinese like to eat rice with. Personally I find a spoon easier, but if you like been laughed at in Chinese restaurants read this... then next time you are been ridiculed you can divert attention from your lousy eating to your vast intellect by
    telling them the history of chopsticks.

  • Dominoes. Now if you're anything like me, the word 'dominoes' brings to mind old blokes in flat caps at the local pub on a lazy Sunday afternoon. If however you think dominoes is something to do with pizza then you may want to read this.

  • Fencing. Now I have done a bit of fencing in my time, only last week I put up a lovely 6 foot tall one round the garden. However this entry has nothing to do with that and everything to do with that rather dangerous sport involving swords. One for all the gentry out there I believe.

  • Germany. One of the more powerful European countries with a very famous (or maybe infamous) history, but what is it like today? A good sized entry on current German culture and what to expect if you feel the urge to visit there.
    Doesn't explain how they get to all the sunloungers first though!

  • James Bond - The Fate of the Other Double 0s. We all know about 007... James Bond, but what about all the others? This is a well reseached entry that tries to answer that very question, so grab your tux and your Walther PPK and find out who else was worthy of the codename 00, licensed to kill.

  • Pole Setting. As this entry states, this is probably a job no one even thinks about, so I thought I would give it a moment of fame by bringing it to everyones attention.

  • Shorthand. Ever wondered what those meaningless scrawls are that your secretary jots down on her notepad? (What do you mean you don't have a secretary!) No, she isn't bored by your voice and just doodling, she is writing shorthand. Now I can't make any sense out of it at all, but it must be very clever.


Shorty


08.05.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A504497

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more