My own Football Club!

0 Conversations

On August 31, 1968, something happened to me that changed my life forever. My grandad took me to my first football match. It was a humble fixture - Bradford City v. Chesterfield in what is now called the Nationwide League Division Three - but to my eight-year-old self, it was pure magic. I loved the tension, the noise, and the colours of the soccer spectacle. I still do - and that is why I've built Ormondroyd's Virtual Supporters' Club.

If you search the Guide, you'll find quite a few Entries and loads of Forum Posts on the subject of football. I hope that my Virtual Supporters' Club will provide a focus for the enthusiasm for the game that apparently exists within h2g2.

The Club features links to information sites from all over the English-speaking world. It also includes links to club sites for every team in the top two divisions in England and Scotland, and to football-related Guide Entries. There's even a poll where you can vote on whether David Beckham is a genius, an idiot, or both!

Finding sites good enough to feature on the Club site was sometimes difficult, but mostly great fun. One of my favourites is 'Football Girls UK', a great site which contains both comprehensive information on British women's soccer and the words to some very risque, and hilarious, songs.

Another is 'The Football Grounds of Great Britain', which has
pictures of every league ground in England, gives descriptions of the
stadia and instructions on how to get to them - and even recommends good places to go for a drink near each ground!

Putting the page together was a learning experience. I was delighted todiscover that the South African national Under-23 team has the evocative nickname of 'Ama Glug-Glug'! I was amazed to find out that there is stillan FA Carling Premiership team that doesn't have an official website - themore so because it's one of Britain's biggest clubs, Liverpool (and I even phoned Anfield to check!) Thankfully, in this and other cases, there was an excellent unofficial site to fill the vacancy.

So, if you're any sort of fan of the world's favourite game, please come to my Club. Virtual hooliganism is strictly forbidden there, and you'll bewarmly welcomed. Get stuck in and give 100%, and we'll get a result at theend of the day.


Ormondroyd


17.01.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A487721

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more