A Conversation for Smudger Snippets

Kindred Spirit

Post 1

Websailor

Smudger, I only just got round to reading this, but I heartily agree. My Dad was in to photography, developing and printing his own too, many years ago. I always wanted to take photos but was hopeless with the old cameras.

Have spent a fortune and waited for the prints, about half could go in the bin, and in recent years they told you exactly what was wrong with the picture, which was a bit humiliating smiley - smiley Added to that a processing company lost my son's Graduation photos, and that really hurt!

Now, I have some very old slides that my Dad took, and having no facility to put slides on my computer I screened them, and took a photo with the dig.cam. Bearing in mind these photos were about 40 years old or more I was amazed at the results. If you are interested take a look at my Flicker site http://www.flickr.com/photos/websailor/ and click on the set marked 40 Years Ago.

I have loads more to try out but they will have to wait till the days are longer and I have more time.

Thanks for a lovely article. As you know I don't get out a lot either, but it is amazing what you can find close to home if you look. Somehow the digital camera gives you new eyes, and you see things you wouldn't normally notice, or you see things in a different way.

Enjoy your new hobby.

Websailor smiley - dragon


Kindred Spirit

Post 2

Smudger879n

Hi WS, Many thanks for your post, I had a look at those photos you mentioned, they look great! I had no idea that you had so many photos on your site eithersmiley - ok
You say you took photos of the slides while they up on a screen, they look great, you would never knowsmiley - magic
I took a photo of a poloroid picture of Mk2 and myself, with my digital camera on the tripod, to stop camera shake, and it came out really well considering it was a well worn photosmiley - cool

Must be honest, I've not had the camera out recently, thanks again for your post, I appreciate thatsmiley - ok
smiley - cheersSmudger.


Kindred Spirit

Post 3

Websailor

Hi, Smudger,

My camera hasn't been too busy either. The weather hasn't really been much good for photos. I hope to try and get out and see if there is anything worth taking a picture of, but it is difficult to get away, I have so much to do. I hope to take some more of the slides, as I have loads, it just takes a bit of setting up, preferably when PHM is out for the day, which doesn't happen very often now.

I really need a better camera, with 12mp like yours perhaps, and a better zoom as I want to get some close ups of the birds which this camera isn't brilliant at. It is fantastic for scenic shots and real close ups, but the zoom isn't brilliant. As it was a present I mustn't complain, and don't feel justified in buying another one since I don't get out often. All my photos are at home or very local.

I am looking forward to some nice weather and more daylight. The forecast doesn't sound too good in your area, and mine isn't very nice either for the next few days. We will see if they get it right.

Take care, smiley - cheers

Websailor smiley - dragon


Kindred Spirit

Post 4

Smudger879n

Hi WS, I got my camera on Ebay for £70 inc. P & P, it was a lot cheaper than it would be from a shop. (never seen another 12M/Pixel, only 10) It takes great photos as well, you can zoom right in on them, when viewing them on a computer.
We dont have much wild life here, (well apart from that animal of a neighbour)and his barking dog, so I just take pictures of the G/Kids when they are here.
I hope to get out more in the summer and take a lot more, only hope Mk2 will be fit enough to get out, as we have been stuck in here for months now?
Cheers, Smudger.


Kindred Spirit

Post 5

Websailor

I know the feeling. I have seen lots of 12 mps but quite expensive. Unfortunately I don't 'do' business on the Internet - just not comfortable with it after I have a substantial amount of money pinched out of my bank account. I got it back but it was a hassle and a worry.

Hope you do manage to get out. You will love your camera if you can.

Night night,

Websailor smiley - dragon


Kindred Spirit

Post 6

Smudger879n

Sorry to hear about your on line bad experience WS, hope you got it all back through their insurance, as our bank gives that assurance that if we ever do get ripped off, they will reimburse every pennysmiley - ok That is why we bank on line now, as were a bit scared at first?

One of Mk2s sisters got done for quite a large sum, but she was a bit naive about such matters at the time, now she knows better, after doing a computer course. Hope you are OK nowsmiley - ok
smiley - cheersSmudger.


Kindred Spirit

Post 7

Websailor

I am fine, and it wasn't an online scam. I have never found out how it was done, as my card never leaves my sight or possession, so it has made me very wary. Our bank was good, and there is nothing I can do to stop it happening again which is annoying. The banks have one heck of a lot to answer for. If they had chosen the more secure system instead of the cheap one, we wouldn't be in this predicament.

Websailor smiley - dragon


Kindred Spirit

Post 8

Smudger879n

I have never owned a credit card,even in the days when I was a subby working away from home all the time. Mind you there wasn't any of them cash machines in those days.
We all used to own something gold, so that we could borrow on the strength of it, if we were ever stuck money wise, then get it back when we got paid againsmiley - cool
In fact it was the bank managers idea to give me a bank card and cheque book, (we never used the cheque book either)
Glad you got it all sorted out though smiley - cheers
smiley - cheersSmudger.


Kindred Spirit

Post 9

Websailor

I don't have a credit card, just a debit and I must admit it is very useful, though I am wary where I use it.

Websailor smiley - dragon


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more