A Conversation for Talking Point: Should Abortion be Available on Request?

"Pro/Anti-abortion" - better terms

Post 1

Demonica

These are much better terms than pro-choice and pro-life. I mean, how can you be against choice? Also, how can you be against life? These terms mean nothing, they were just created to make more people sympathetic to what you are saying.


"Pro/Anti-abortion" - better terms

Post 2

broelan

i don't know of anyone who is against life (after all, without life, where would we be?), but when it comes to this particular subject there are indeed people who are anti-choice.

terminology was debated several months ago in a thread on this subject titled 'pro-choice'. since the bbc adopted the site and moderation has been introduced, the conversation is pretty chopped up. i haven't attempted to read it thru since then figuring it probably didn't make much sense anymore (with half the conversation missing).

pro-life is an internationally accepted term referring to all supporters wishing to preserve every fetus at all costs. they want to save *every* "life", and so the term 'pro' is all inclusive. by using the same term to describe abortion, it would follow that abortion supporters would seek to end all pregnancies in abortion. i know that sounds a bit absurd, but if pro-life refers to an extreme, then it goes to follow that 'pro-abortion' would as well.

pro-choice (the other internationally accepted term) on the other hand means that it's supporters think that the *choice* of whether or not to abort or carry to term should be available to all.

in simple terms, pro-choice isn't about everybody having abortions, and it's not about everybody being required to carry to term come what may. it *is* about each woman being able to decide for herself what is in her own best interests, it's about her choice.


Key: Complain about this post

"Pro/Anti-abortion" - better terms

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more