Talking Point: Should Abortion be Available on Request?

20 Conversations

Babies

The term 'abortion' means the expulsion of the foetus from the uterus (womb) before it is capable of independent life. An abortion which occurs spontaneously is often called a miscarriage, and an artificial abortion is called either a termination of pregnancy or a therapeutic abortion.

People can be either pro-abortion, anti-abortion or take the middle ground that abortion is acceptable in some circumstances.

Pro-abortion

The decision to terminate a pregnancy is a difficult one, whatever the circumstances. Many couples need counselling and advice to make their decision. Some people who are pro-abortion think that the rights of the foetus are limited and that it is the woman's right to choose what happens to her body. Legal abortion is also supported by some people who consider the alternative of women dying from illegal 'back street' abortions to be totally unacceptable.

There are many reasons why people might consider terminating a pregnancy:

  • Difficulty in coping with a child (or an additional child) for financial or emotional reasons.

  • Because the pregnancy threatens the mother's life.

  • Severe foetal handicap, especially those which are so severe that the baby will die at or soon after birth.

  • Psychological reasons, perhaps a risk of suicide by the mother.

  • Termination in order that the woman can receive medical treatment.

Anti-abortion

Some people are against abortion because they believe that the foetus has a right to life under any circumstances. Such views may be based on religious beliefs or moral convictions.

Some people who are anti-abortion may consider that the procedure might be justifiable in exceptional cases such as when the pregnancy is a result of rape, incest, or the exploitation of a mentally incompetent woman.

What are your views?

  • Should abortion be illegal? If so why?

  • Or do you agree that all women should have the right to choose whether to have a termination?

  • Is selective abortion in the case of multiple pregnancies acceptable?

  • Is abortion acceptable for reasons or severe foetal handicap? Does the same apply to babies with minor abnormalities? Where do you draw the line?

  • Should abortion be made available to those who wish to choose the sex of their child?

  • Does the foetus feel pain before the 24 week gestation period?

  • Should under-age abortions require parental consent?

  • Should the biological father be able to prevent a woman from having an abortion against her wishes?

  • Is adoption a viable alternative to abortion?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A472295

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more