A Conversation for The Loyal Zoological Society

British Mammals project

Post 1

Skankyrich [?]

*takes deep breath*

I've been working on a whole series of Entries covering British Mammals, envisaged as a University project, and was wondering if anyone wanted to contribute?

The idea is that there is one Entry, an Overview, that talks briefly about each family, then below this an Entry for each family itself. Ultimately, we could even have an Entry on each individual species too, but that's a bit further in the future smiley - smiley I've been working on this on and off for several months, so big chunks are done, but big chunks are missing too!

Thus far, the Entries are:

A10892126 - the Overview, which I'll finish at the end. The bare bones are there for my guidance at the moment.

A13391129 (Carnivores), A13391192 (Insectivores), A13502396 (Rodents) and A13391075 (Pinnipeds). I've handled these more or less to completion, though there is still some work for me to do on them - they give a good idea of the level of detail I'm looking at, though. I'll post back when each of these is completed. I'm also planning to start a lagomorphs Entry soon.

A9762258, A786477 and A275951 are pre-existing EG entries that I have added to the bar at the top, as they already cover some of the families completely.

I've also started on a Mammal Surveying Entry at A13502422, which again I'll complete and post back here for comments.


So, if anyone knows anything about artiodactyla (deer family) or cetacea (dolphins and whales) - or even rabbits and hares, as I haven't started it yet! - and would like to collaborate or even solo-write Entries on them, please let me know smiley - smiley

If anyone wants to have a read and pick out the inevitable mistakes and omissions, I'd appreciate that too. It's been a real labour of love just getting the whole thing this far, and errors are bound to have crept in!

smiley - cheers


British Mammals project

Post 2

Skankyrich [?]

Oh, and by the way... I know I need lots of links, but haven't got so far as to even contemplate adding them yet!


British Mammals project

Post 3

Azara

I'd certainly be happy to read through and comment, though I don't feel inspired to write any full entries.

smiley - cheers
Azara
smiley - rose


British Mammals project

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Remind me about this, Skanky, and I'll have a look at it.


British Mammals project

Post 5

Skankyrich [?]

Thanks guys - I'll post again when one or more Entries are actually completed smiley - ok


British Mammals project

Post 6

Skankyrich [?]

Ok, I think I'm happy enough with A13502396 (rodents) and A13391192 (insectivores) for you to take a look at them. I haven't got as far as adding links yet, but I'd really appreciate any comments about the general style or the amount of space/information given on each species. It would be wonderful if the Loyal Zoological Society could help me with a bit of pre-review reviewing smiley - smiley

Either comment here or on the Entry; but if commenting here please add a link to the Entry to make it easier for me to find what you're talking about!


British Mammals project

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

Great idea for a project, S!

Rodents:

1. You say rats are normally blamed for the great plague of the 17th Century (1665, I believe) but that recent reports say they may not be to blame.

I thought it was that they are blamed for the Black Death in the 13th Century and that recent studies say they are not to blame.

2. Mouse: I've heard that they can get in through any hole which is big enough to stick a pencil through. The "pencil test" involves going around your house sticking a pencil into the gaps around windows etc. If it will take a pencil, a mouse can get in.

3. You have only one section for Squirrels, even though there are two species. Would you not separate them, with subheaders?

4. I think the dormouse section should say more about hibernation - the dormouse is one of the few creatures that truly hibernates in the winter. You can also say how it got its name from the French "dormir" meaning to sleep.

differenciate --> differentiate



British Mammals project

Post 8

Skankyrich [?]

Thanks Gnomon!

The Black Death was in the 14th Century, but point taken and addressed! I tinkered with the squirrels section for a long time, but I'd written it in a way that the two species were interlinked right through. After a few cuts and pastes, I decided that it looked better like this; dividing it disturbed the flow quite badly. If you really feel that it needs to be in two sections, though, I could have another go.

I've given you an 'Addition Research by' credit, if that's ok with you!

Thanks again.

smiley - stout


British Mammals project

Post 9

Skankyrich [?]

The 'Carnivores' Entry is now complete, at A13391129 - as ever, links still to be added smiley - ok


British Mammals project

Post 10

Skankyrich [?]

As is the Surveying Entry at A13502422 - I think smiley - smiley


British Mammals project

Post 11

Skankyrich [?]

The project is coming along nicely at A14530312, if anyone is interested smiley - smiley

Just the artiodactyls to finish, and cetaceans to start and finish! Comments would be very welcome.


British Mammals project

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

Skanky, I don't know whether you are aware of the h2g2 photographers group. I've uploaded a picture of a Grey Seal to it, and hopefully, the Eds will be able to use it for your Pinnipeds entry, if you don't mind. You can find the full picture at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eoinmcauley/148391548/in/set-72057594137900009/

but if all goes well, we'll be using a 200 x 200 snippet from it.


British Mammals project

Post 13

Skankyrich [?]

Yes, I'm a member of it. That photo would be absolutely superb on the Entry; thank you very much for offering it smiley - smiley


British Mammals project

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

I posted a message to the yahoo group early this morning, but it hasn't appeared yet. How long do they normally take?


British Mammals project

Post 15

Skankyrich [?]

They're normally instant - I got the message as soon as I checked my email, and Wilma has already replied. Yours is message 363, sent at 8.50am? You can get each message sent to you directly as well through an option in 'Edit Membership', but that depends if you want 20 or so emails a day coming through.


British Mammals project

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

Ah I see. I was confused by the time stamps and thought all those messages were from yesterday. I didn't see my one in the middle of them.


British Mammals project

Post 17

Skankyrich [?]

Yes, it does look confusing - if it said 'Today' above the time it would be a lot clearer.

If you, or anyone else subscribed, has any comments on the content, I'd really appreciate it. I'm hoping to get the artiodacyls finished quite soon, and am planning to meet up with the cetacean guy at the wildlife trust tomorrow to get a clearer idea of what is considered 'native'. Then I'll be just about there, and I'm quite conscious of not leaving Alex too much to do when it gets its week in PR.


British Mammals project

Post 18

Gnomon - time to move on

A13391129 - Carnivores

Canidae, or the dog family -- I don't think you need the word "or" here. Similarly in "Felidae, or the cat family".

that pointlessly left a frightened fox being ripped apart by hounds -- the verb "left" doesn't sound right here. Perhaps "saw" would be better.

this facet of the foxes behaviour --> this facet of the foxes' behaviour

but to a fox a bird that has been fed so much it can barely fly, the meal opportunity must be irresistible
-->
but to a fox coming across a bird that has been fed so much it can barely fly, the meal opportunity must be irresistible

once simply secretly trapped or shot, -- this phrase seems out of place in its sentence. It belongs more to the next sentence.

'polecats-ferrets' -- is that really correct, or should it be polecat-ferrets?

though like most carnivoles --> though like most carnivores smiley - doh

Wealsels do not ermine in winter in the UK -- first, correct the spelling error of weasels. Secondly, don't use the word "ermine" as a verb, even if that is correct. Explain it in words of one syllable, please.

Although this used to be considered part of a mating ritual or as a way of hypnotising its prey, this is caused by the irritating presence of a parasitic worm -- the use of "this" twice in this sentence is clumsy. You should say "it is in fact caused by .." or "it is now known that it is caused by...".

a huge impact on mating seabirds and small mammal population -- that doesn't sound quite right. Should it be "the small mammal population"?

mink predition --> mink predation


smiley - smiley G


British Mammals project

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

A13391192 - Insectivores

You might consider a link to A510931 Hedgehogs.

to allow the mole to easily backwards as well as forwards-->
to allow the mole to move easily backwards as well as forwards

with one individual occupying its own tunnel system-->
with each individual occupying its own tunnel system


"the red tip of iron deposition on their lower jaw bone" I didn't understand this.

It has however, been found -- add a comma after has

and this believed to help the shrew --> and this is believed to help the shrew

The section on shrews in particular seems to switch regularly between "it" and "they" to describe the animals.

The subspecies is endemic to Scilly, making it Britain's least widely distributed mammal -- I wasn't sure exactly what endemic meant and had to look it up. Could you say "found only in" instead?

smiley - smiley G


British Mammals project

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

A16207652 - Lagomorphs

where the ground is easy -- the ground is soft, or the digging is easy

vociferous breeders -- vociferous means "loud and noticeable", which doesn't really apply to rabbits

20th Century,with increasing crop damage -- need a space after that comma

myxymatosis --> myxomatosis

the Westcountry -- shouldn't that be the West Country?

smiley - smiley G


Key: Complain about this post