A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Project Feedback

Topic of the Week

Post 1

Baryonic Being - save GuideML out of a word-processor: A7720562

Do you still do Topics of the Week? Am I right in saying that the Topics of the Week are the discussion points that get compiled into guide entries at the end?

And my main question is, where do I go to suggest Topics of the Week? Or can I not do that?

Thanks.


Topic of the Week

Post 2

SEF

There has previously been a distinction between discussion topics of the week (talking points = A568721) and collaborative topics of the week (A587108) which get made into EG entries.


Topic of the Week

Post 3

Smij - Formerly Jimster

We're always pleased to hear suggestions for Topics and Talking Points. Possibly the best place to make those sugegstions is Challengeh2g2 as we often go there to see which suggestions have blossomed into interesting discussions.

As we no longer have the in-house resources to compile all the Topics into entries, we're always on the look-out for volunteers to take this on. Only recently, Danny B compiled two superb entries on Sherlock Holmes based on contributions to that previous Topic, and I believe Ormandroyd has taken on the Kate Bush topic.

Talking Points are slightly different as they're more open-ended. We tend to look at whether the subject lends itself more to a finished entry or whether it's a wider area for one entry to cover. If the latter is the case, it gets listed as a Talking Point. Having said that, there's nothing to prevent contributions to a Talking Point from being recycled as an entry.

Jimster


Topic of the Week

Post 4

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"obviously not the topic of the week (posting 2 was hidden during premoderation)"


Topic of the Week

Post 5

Baryonic Being - save GuideML out of a word-processor: A7720562

Thanks everyone! I have posted some suggestions to Challenge h2g2 as you suggest.

By the way, Traveller in Time, are you still working on the Open Source Topic of the Week?

I wouldn't mind helping out in the compilation of interesting Topics.


Topic of the Week

Post 6

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on top
"W**king? big word, perhaps I should donate it official to the publlic domain?

Would 'Collaborator' have space for it?"


Topic of the Week

Post 7

Baryonic Being - save GuideML out of a word-processor: A7720562

Are you saying that the open source entries are being ignored?

If so, then I think it might be time you appealed for somebody to help or even take over. Collaborator would have space for it but it would probably linger there being ignored too. It might be worth submitting it to Collaborator and I myself would probably do a lot of work on it, and then others could, if they wanted, contribute as well (though it's unlikely).


Topic of the Week

Post 8

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Or, if you fancy, BB, we could just hand over editing rights to that topic and you could take it from there...


Topic of the Week

Post 9

Baryonic Being - save GuideML out of a word-processor: A7720562

I don't really mind.

I do have a lot of other things going on at the moment, but I do have time to do some editing and compiling too. It might be better to put it in Collaborator's rights so that Traveller in Time and I could both work on it when we had time, and so that anybody else could work on it if they knew enough about it and noticed that we were slacking.

After all, it's a big project and therefore quite a big responsibility.

Additionally, I recently wrote a 'guide to choosing an open source operating system' entry, which is currently in peer review. It would be very useful for the open source entries and my own entry to cross-reference each other. How feasible is that?

Thanks.


Topic of the Week

Post 10

Smij - Formerly Jimster

That would be up to you guys how feasible it is. Arrange it to suit yourselves and then feel free to plunder the contributions in those conversations on the Topic's page. Once you both have an arrangement you're happy with, we can hand the entry over to whoever you prefer.


Topic of the Week

Post 11

Baryonic Being - save GuideML out of a word-processor: A7720562

OK. Thanks, Jimster. I shall wait for Traveller in Time to comment then.


Topic of the Week

Post 12

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on top
"Like 'Jimster' suggested is about what I did, some ten entries containing the discussions or 'talking point' Open Source.
Not all information has been processed though, even some double quotes are present.

There is a thread with the entry numbers on the talking point."


Topic of the Week

Post 13

Baryonic Being - save GuideML out of a word-processor: A7720562

So do you want to submit it to Collaborator or not?
Or do you want to edit it yourself?
Or do you want it to hand it to me or someone else?


Key: Complain about this post