A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 1

The Fish

Having just watched the film, I HAVE to just say Wowsmiley - wow!!!

Not wanting to ruin the plot... but YODA WITH A LIGHTSABER!!!!! How cool is that!!!!??? smiley - cool

Ok, so the acting was better, but still not first rate, but it's STARWARS!!! And this truely WAS StarWARS... (MASSIVE BATTLE bit near the end)...

And it fits in perfectly to the whole prequel thing. Phantom Menace played it's part, and now ATOC has certainly come up trumps! smiley - ok

I was quite shocked when they gave it a PG certificate (In the UK PG means "Parental Guidance" and means it is just above a "U" which anyone can see). I'm surprised also that they almost made it a 12! And had to cut a bit out... becasue all the previous films have been U's.... smiley - erm

But SERIOUSLY, this film is good! And smiley - tongueout to anyone who disagrees... smiley - biggrin
smiley - fish


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 2

Old Net Lunatic

I agree. Phantom Menace was appalling and nearly broke my heart, and was nothing more than a crappy sellout merchandising fest aimed at 7-year-olds. Jar-Jar Binks....WHAT WAS HE THINKING !!! ???.......

Let's hope G Lucas gets even more on track with the next one and gets really dark.......did AOTC remind you of TESB as it seemed to me to be somewhat of a 'middle' film too?


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 3

The Fish

To be honest, I don't find Phantom Menace to be as annoying as most "die-hard" or even normal fans seem to have found it... For a start OK JarJar is OOOOOO SO! Irritatingly annoying!!! but people are FAR too serious about the whole thing! All the people that were kids when the first ones came out, have turned into grumpy adults and I reckon half of them have forgotten what it was to be that age... and as a result, wanted to get the same from EP1 as they did from EP4... smiley - erm I also reckon the soundtrack from 1 is fantastic! 2's is ok... but it just lacks something amazing... that John Williams created with his "Dual of the Fates" track...
I guess JarJar played his role in ATOC too... being the "weak minded fool" that started the Clone Wars! Now THAT is something! smiley - winkeyesmiley - laugh
I guess people are expecting 3 to be a lot darker... I dunno if that'll be the point though... smiley - huh The story (from Lucas's view) is that it's all about "The one who will bring ballence to the force"... being Anakin... and in the end he does (By destroying the emporer, and turning back to good...).

Some of ATOC made me laugh so much.... I mean in places the links to TESB are amazing! smiley - bigeyes Yoda has some cracking lines... and Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) is wonderfully silly as well... smiley - biggrin
smiley - fish


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 4

Researcher 195494

i would like to point out, that anakin becoming darth vader, killing the emperor turning away from the darkside is NOT bringing balance to the force. because, the light side of the force, needs something to balance itself out


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 5

The Fish

Hmmm... tricky to understand the meaning is, quoting George Lucas I was... smiley - winkeye
I haven't quite figured it out myself, but he did also produced Luke and Leia... smiley - smiley
smiley - fish


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 6

Rincewiz

and luke balanced the force by reuniting the dark and the light side, it's as simple as that.


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 7

Stunt

I saw Star Wars yesterday and it was awesome! Really, the links and hints of what's to come really give this episode much more depth than TPM.

I mean, the hints concerning the deathstar, the future turnover of Anakin to the dark side (cfr the killing of the tuskanraiders out of revenge for the death of his mother) really add up to make this movie much better then TPM.


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 8

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

Nobody thought the scenes of soft focus lovers running through fields of flowers were rather over the top/cheesy/little house on the prarie?

Or that the second deathstar reference was uneccesarily blatant?

Or the "oh I have fallen, I might be badly hurt, I shall just lie down in the sand and writhe in pain and agony for a while, until someone asks me if I am ok, and then I will magically jump up uninjured and run off" bit was a tad on the terrible side?

I really hope Lucas works out that scenes pioneered by the first StarTrek series are not how the best way of showing the blossoming of a young relationship.


But yes, not all the love scenes were as terrible as the running thru the flowers one, some of them were ok, and a lot of the film completely kicked ass - yoda was just superbness personified...


smiley - cheersvp


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 9

Jamie of the Portacabin

I think the first deathstar reference must have been so discreet that i missed it. all i remember is the little hologram projection of it. what was the other one?

I have to say i thought the film was brilliant. As for the claims that the acting is still a bit dodgy - go and watch the original trilogy. The acting wasn't exactly flawless in that and it didn't diminish those films particularly.


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 10

Jack A

I was off work when AOTC came out and went to see it in the day when it was quiet. My mobile phone went off in the trailers (Forgotten to turn it off), while I was juggling a hot dog, a drink and a big bag of sweets. It was my Landlady demanding to get into the flat to let a repairman fix the washing machine. She said he wouldn't be able to come back for another week if I didn't come back and unlock the door. Although it's useful to know she hasn't kept a spare key in case I ever decide I'm tired of paying rent it was a bit galling to have to walk out of the cinema after I'd reached a crescendo of anticipation.

Anyway, sorry about that diversion. When I got back to the cinema for the next showing I thought the film was fantastic, "proper Star Wars" compared to episode 1. I agree with the point that the acting was patchy but it doesn't seem to matter. Some of the dialogue is so bad it becomes a pleasure to listen to, particularly the conversations between Obi wan and Anakin.


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 11

Purple Moose - He comes, he goes. But mainly the latter...



I saw this film what, 2 days after it came out.smiley - tongueout
There was one bit i didn't get. The big battle at the end with Anakin, Obi Wan and Count Dooku (ooooohh yes and YODA!!!!!smiley - biggrin)
Anakin gets taken down by having his hand severed off, fair enough.
But Obi Wan gets a couple of light touches on his arms and legs and he's down! I thought these Jedi types were suppost to be toughened fighters! But then again how cool was Yoda!!!!?? WOW! that was easily the highlight of the film!
smiley - reindeer
(oh yeah! Who was it who told me that they were going to kill Jar Jar Binx in this film? I was in suspence all through the film to see how he got killed!(oh well have to wait till the next one to see what happens to him!))


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 12

Jamie of the Portacabin

Well if you think about it JarJar is solely responsible for starting the clone wars, allowing the Empire's rise to power, getting a lot of people killed, etc. And he's really put on a bit of weight too...


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 13

eddy

I cant stop myself from saying that it is quite obvious that Gorge (lucas) has somthing with severd of hands arms and all that stuff (I am no fan so if it isn't accurate please correct me).
smiley - huh


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 14

Jamie of the Portacabin

Yep, this is true. Obi-Wan Kenobi chops off an arm in bothe Episodes 2 and 4. Anakin Skywalker gets his hand cut off, as does Luke. Can't think of any others specifically. Someone willing to go into the films in more depth than me might be able to find some symbolic meaning there......


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 15

Doubting Salmon

did I blank out at those parts in both films cos I can't remember Obi Wan getting his arm cut off in either!!?
please refresh my memory and tell me what parts?
ps- I am not being a smart ass. (cos I'm not very learned in the arts of starwars film-watching)

Seb
(amateur writer, artist, over-achiever and president of the modesty club!)


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 16

Jamie of the Portacabin

*He* chops off *other people's* arms! smiley - smiley


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 17

Doubting Salmon

I see.....
thankyou...


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 18

Purple Moose - He comes, he goes. But mainly the latter...

I still don't understand though! Why does Obi Wan only need a couple of touches on his leg and arms to make him fall to the floor!?!?
And haven't Jedis got somekind of foresight, so they can see an attack coming before it is made?
(a rather confused)smiley - reindeer


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 19

Doubting Salmon

no you're thinking of spider-man.
actually, they should have it though cos luke deflects all those blasts from the little droid thing in episode four(the last hope?)
but it seems that jedis don't use that skill in real situations....somehthing doesnt stick...

me


Star Wars II:Attack Of The Clones

Post 20

P-stoff

Hey, I don't mean to intrude, but I have also seen the movie and I gotta say, what a bloody success!!!

George Lucas has cracked the code to a f*****g fantastic film! I mean everything is so cool!!!!!!


Key: Complain about this post