A Conversation for The wave-particle duality of traffic in Beijing

Writing Workshop: A450640 - The wave-particle duality of traffic in Beijing

Post 1

Is mise Duncan

Entry: The wave-particle duality of traffic in Beijing - A450640
Author: Is mise Duncan - U96742

Any ideas how I can polish this up?


A450640 - The wave-particle duality of traffic in Beijing

Post 2

Deidzoeb

Hilarious idea. I think it needs a paragraph or two at the end tying things together, maybe reaching a conclusion about Physics based on traffic in Beijing, or a conclusion about traffic in Beijing that can be deduced from the way other waves & particles behave?

Are you planning to submit this to Peer Review eventually? This would be a great piece to use for AGG/GAG, but we prefer to use pieces that won't be in the Edited Guide. AGG/GAG is a group of researchers trying to promote good entries that fall outside the scope of the Edited Guide. We have a column in the h2g2 post where we give links to selected entries. For more info, see <./>agggag</.> or <./>thepost</.>. (The name AGG/GAG stands for Alternate Galaxial Guide/Guide to Alternate Galaxies, but we like to try different names constantly.)


A450640 - The wave-particle duality of traffic in Beijing

Post 3

Trout Montague

Here is an extract from my Travel Journal regarding driving in Beijing. I hope that you like it ...

"We head off in Mr. John's chocolate brown BJC 2020S en route to the Great Wall site at Mutianyu, taking care to avoid Badaling which has become something of a Santa's Grotto for tourists. Mr. John's driving style is what we euphemistically call "adventurous" and as a result we encounter several near-misses. Driving in Beijing is evidently loosely based on the teenage driving game of "Chicken" and Mr. John bullies his way to victory. We pass a neat arrangement of four cars each with its front bumper pressed against the driver-side door of the vehicle in front of it. The only way out is to reverse but no-one will 'lose face' and admit defeat. We go merrily past, stopping only when we slide sideways and gently into a kerb thereby finally converting one of our near-misses. "Well, we nearly missed it", we joke. Despite the icy conditions, Mr. John has a habit of taking his corners fast and late, but even he decides that this is a bit much and finally engages 4WD in the hope that this will keep us on the road."

Travel Journal of Dr Montague Trout and Old Spice, Jan 1998


A450640 - The wave-particle duality of traffic in Beijing

Post 4

Is mise Duncan

I saw exacxtly the same 4-car roundabout trick in Yaoundé, Cameroon in the mid 1980s. Amazing how similar bad driving is smiley - smiley


A450640 - The wave-particle duality of traffic in Beijing

Post 5

Trout Montague

Is it finished then? Why not put it back in PR?


A450640 - The wave-particle duality of traffic in Beijing

Post 6

Cyzaki

Are you still working on this entry?

smiley - panda


A450640 - The wave-particle duality of traffic in Beijing

Post 7

Is mise Duncan

I think it's finished...any suggestions for changes will be gladly accepted though.


A450640 - The wave-particle duality of traffic in Beijing

Post 8

Cyzaki

If it's finished, it shouldn't be in the writing workshop. If it is suitable for the edited guide it can go in Peer Review, if not, try the Alternative Writing Workshop.

smiley - panda


A450640 - The wave-particle duality of traffic in Beijing

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

I think Deidzoeb's suggestion in Posting 2 still applies: it needs a conclusion.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more