A Conversation for The International Baccalaureate Diploma

UWC

Post 1

Blink

IB rules. At least I think so. Currently I'm studying the first IB year att Red Cross Nordic United World Colleges in Norway. Is there any more uwc'ers out there?


UWC

Post 2

MaW

IB does rule. I took my finals this summer and got a 36 point diploma. I'd like to point out a few mistakes in that entry though.

- the group six subject can be art, a second language, a second science, a second humanities subject or indeed further maths (if you're doing Higher maths as well)
- the extended essay has a maximum count of 4000 words. no more than that is allowed.

Or at least, that's what I was told. And no mention was made of World Literature, which makes up part of all native language courses and involves the writing of nasty assignments.


UWC

Post 3

bethinabirch

eeech. yay for IB! i just did my ToK presentation on Thursday which was rather awful, but whatever...

i think mention should be made in the article that IB points are earned by both Internal and External Assesment - Internal being lab notebooks, tapes made of conversations in 2nd language (did that on Thursday also), those aforementioned World Literature Papers, and External being formal tests in all subjects.

is anyone else working on their extended essay? mine's on the metaphor of the chess game in _Through the Looking Glass_ - fun stuff.


UWC

Post 4

MaW

Mine was on the Sierpinski Gasket *shudder*

University Computer Science is so much better... well, so far anyway smiley - smiley


UWC

Post 5

bethinabirch

my lord, what on earth is that?

- oh-so-educated (ha!) beth


UWC

Post 6

MaW

The sierpinksi gasket is a kind of fractal based around the equilateral triangle. And I have no wish to discuss it further. I think I've still got the programs to generate the damned things sitting around on my hard disk somewhere...


UWC

Post 7

bethinabirch

eeech, well that sounds rather horrible. and way out of my league too - im a humanities kinda gal (no matter what Wilson says about Consilience) (ha that's such an IB thing to do - name drop biologists - good lord im a loser smiley - smiley)


UWC

Post 8

MaW

I got a 7 in History!
Standard, admittedly, but History nonetheless! It's not even a subject I wanted to do. Hows about that then?

Not long before the southern hemisphere people take their exams now, is it?


UWC

Post 9

Digitalkipper

I was very interested to read that "IB Rules" as my daughters School is hoping to offer the IB Diploma from September 2003.
Prior to this I was unaware that there was an option to do anything other than A Levels, GNVQ's or BTEC's at 6th Form.
In your experience would you agree that studying IB is superior to the other courses on offer and why.


UWC

Post 10

stinkbeetle

to everyone who is about to apply to the ib program heed my warning! I too was lured into taking the ib program and and as added bonus living in canada i had a chance to take the bilingual bach option (english being my second language). And though i have no objection with the program itself i urge anyone interested in applying to first contact some of the universities in your area or that you wish to apply too and ask them about there bach admission conditions. This was my nightmare. In grade 11 i had startted to apply to some of my first choices of universities and i was horrified to discover that almost all the advantages of taking the bach option were totally dismissed byt the univ`s representatives i wont go into detail seeing as my school might have been misled on the advantages of the bach. Not to mention that some universities were straigh out refusing bach students seeing as the grading system was so different and couldnt admit the students if the grades were not based on the ontario 1 to 4 grade. These were a few of the many problems i encountered before dropping out of the program and i have not once regretted the choice , plus as a bonus i now have a much greater freedom as far as high school course options. So pls make sure you understand the ib`s advantages ( this might vary by region/country)before enrolling because theres not mmuch point in working harder and with less freedoms than ther students without being recompensed.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more