A Conversation for Buying food in Sweden

Kebab in Sweden

Post 1

Hikaru Poet

I live in America but traveled to Sweden in October 2002. I was actually a little surprised at the quantity and prominence of U.S.-based fast food company restaurants. Convenient, but not quite what I was looking for.

The kebab places had a good variety of relatively inexpensive items for those looking for something other than hamburgers, though they often offered some type of hamburger option. I enjoyed chicken salad, gyro salad, gyro sandwich and meatballs with mashed potatoes at various kebab restaurants.

Kebabs usually kept later hours - for example, until 2200 or 10 p.m. Cafes and sandwich shops often had daytime only hours, until 1600/4 p.m. or 1700/5 p.m. or so. Kebab service is not quite as "instant" as a fast-food restaurant might be, as they assemble your meal to order. But it's usually only a matter of a minute or two.

In Arvika, Värmland, I actually walked out of my hotel restaurant, where I had contemplated the featured three-course dinner, because the server was so slow to return to take my order and I had not even been served a drink yet. For my supper that evening, I instead went back to a place called Danny's where I had a nice lunch the day before, and this time made sure to take a menu with me when I was finished. They are a good example of the potential variety in a "kebab" restaurant, with a nearly 100-item menu of pizza, salad and hamburgers as well as kebab, priced from around 40 to 60 SEK.

So next time you're in Sweden, try a meal at the place with the "Kebab" sign.


Key: Complain about this post

Kebab in Sweden

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more