A Conversation for The s11 Protests

A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 1

R K1024-T

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A437023

This was one of my first articles. I thought it was quite good, and while about a specific event, the topics involved are still quite current.

Plus of course, people are starting to converse on it, which means it must have something going for it.

Right? Guys?


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 2

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Rightish.

How about updating it to include information other newer protests about globalisation and WTO events.

You could include stuff about the current event in Canada where people are protesting about freeing up trade in the Americas - from Canada to Argentina.

Naturally, because the USA is involved, free trade in agricultural products is not included. Those subsidised Yankee farmers have votes.


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 3

Dancing Ermine

I think it works okay but I haven't seen any edited entries with that question-answer format beforesmiley - erm. I also got the feeling that had it been written in a different way you may have been able to expand on what happened a little more, the background information might have fit in better.

The subject was interesting though and it was well written, enough to keep my interest throughout the article, which is more than some entries.... smiley - smiley


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 4

R K1024-T

Hmm. I think I mainly expected that article to be focused mainly on that event when I wrote it. But, maybe I could incorporate that sort of format into another article, with all the other protests. I was actually going to do another "Mastermind" style Entry about the M1 protests. Maybe I should just do a whole Entry on the recent history of the Anti-globalisation movement?


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 5

Dancing Ermine

I noticed you were discussing that in the fora attached to the article. I'm not sure that the style will be accepted, but purely because I've not seen it before. We'd really need to ask one of the editorial team before condemning it though. Who knows it could be the first!smiley - smiley

As to whether you should amalgamate all the protests into one article, that depends on how much information you're putting in each. You don't really want to drown people with massively long guide entries because they are apt to get bored and move on. Maybe you could split it in two. One article outlining he basis for the anti-globalisation position, and one as a history (if that's the word) of the protests?


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 6

Martin Harper

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A320338 - is a similar question-and-answer entry: this isn't a completely unknown idea...

However, I think that this entry would be better done without the Q&A style: by all means focus it on s11, though - there's no need (unless you want to) to get sidetracked by the entire history of the movement...


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 7

Martin Harper

Is RK gone? smiley - sadface

I'm not wholly convinced that this is Edited Guide material as it stands. Should it be moved to the workshop?


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 8

R K1024-T

No, I'm still here. I know that as it stands, the Q/A formats a tad (OK, let's not mince words, A LOT) iffy, but really, I'm not sure if I really want to change it. I mean, it's entertaining by itself, It's informative (even if that's on a technicality), so why change it? I mean, if someone wanted to find it, it's still in the search engine. But hey, if anyone wants to use the article to their end, go right ahead.


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 9

Martin Harper

hmm, OK.

Don't forget - you could always keep a copy of the original, and create a new version in a less... 'iffy' format. Just another option... smiley - shrug

Shall we wait and see what other people reckon? Maybe they'll agree with you that it's fine as is - I've been wrong before (many times!)


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 10

R K1024-T

Well, there's a point. The other side is, of course, I'm damn busy at the moment with school and whatnot. Although, The inspiration to change it just might pop up, you never know...

Although, I think I will let other people comment first. Wouldn't want to completely mangle it. If I had input however...


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 11

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Well, I'd have to agree with the above posters that the entry would need some cleaning up and smoothing out before going into the Edited Guide.

If you really don't want any changes made to it, your best bet is to pull it out of Peer Review. It it were to be recommended and accepted, a sub-editor would take it on and would likely make considerable changes.

What do you think?

smiley - aliensmile
Mikey


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 12

R K1024-T

Actually, you got a point. Some point in the future I'll copy it and spruce it up, but I got nothing at the moment.

So, err, how do I get it off Peer Review? I checked the page and it says nothing...


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 13

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

That's because it's the scouts and the editors who take care of that kind of thing. There's two options here. We could:

1) move the thread to the Writing Workshop, where friendly people might offer to help you polish it up, or

2) move the thread to the entry itself, so people stopping by the entry could read it, and you could access it when/if you decide to attack the entry again.

What do you think?

smiley - smiley
Mikey


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 14

R K1024-T

I think no 2 sounds the better option. Curse the damn school for sucking all my availiable time!


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 15

DoctorGonzo

I know the feeling mate - except it's work that's taking all the time when I need to revise. (and want to write here smiley - winkeye )

Ever thought about a uni of life project on the 'anti-globalisation movement'? You could have several articles - eg
- Recent protests - Seattle, s11, Genoa, maybe May Day protests
- The different groups, such as RTS, or Ya B***a! (not really sweary, but better safe that moderated :p )
- Figureheads of the movement (the only one that comes to mind atm is Naomi Klein, but there *must* be others
- Is it a viable political movement? Is the violence destroying the movement, or is violence a necessary part of any revolution? Is this an end to the 'fractured' left, or is it a very strained alliance?

Just a suggestion, and not just for RK, if he's too busy smiley - smiley

DG


A437023 - The s11 Protests

Post 16

R K1024-T

It has been discussed on the actual page, and I have been thinking about it, the biggie is that a) I have a habit of really getting into things then leaving them half-finished and b) How many other people would be willing to join in with me in the project?

But yeah, a Uni of Life project could definitely work.


Thread Moved

Post 17

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'The s11 Protests'.


Thread Moved

Post 18

R K1024-T

Thankyou Mr Editor!


Key: Complain about this post