A Conversation for Talking Point: Vanity and the Knife

'shallowness' - thoughts?

Post 1

football_fanatic10

Why is it that we value things like intelligence or personality more than beauty? I know it doesn't seem that way sometimes, but we all like to think we see what's on the inside and don't care about superficial beauty.

Aren't both types of traits pretty much random? A combination of genetics and environment, so why do we get upset when someone is 'shallow'?

thoughts?


'shallowness' - thoughts?

Post 2

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

"Why is it that we value things like intelligence or personality more than beauty?"

I assume it's because things like intelligence or personality are less transitory than beauty, which we prize most in the young. Intelligence and personality are also ostensibly more valuable to society, if the brochures are to be believed.

Someone I admire for being both beautiful and intelligent once told me about the "trophy-wife" phenomenon. This is a state of affairs wherein rich powerful men acquire young beautiful wives with the implicit understanding that the marriage contract is an exchange of youth and beauty for a luxurious life style and access to the finer things, materially speaking, in life. There is a clear, if unspoken, understanding that when youth and beauty fade the wife will graciously accept a generous retirement package and hubby will shop for a younger model.

JTG


'shallowness' - thoughts?

Post 3

RMBuster (Voice of Order)

JTG....While I would agree with your assesment, somewhat, I also disagree. Being a fairly wealthy man myself, I don't see a profit in having a "trophy-wife"....yes she's great to look at, but like most china dolls, will break if handled in the wrong fashion, and in turn will leave with whatever they can in the long run.

I speak from a small manner of experience, I've had this "trophy-wife" before, except we were not married. She got eaxctly what she wanted, a child, and then left immediately there after, leaving me with child support payments. So no, I see very little use in a trohey bride.

smiley - cheers
PJ


'shallowness' - thoughts?

Post 4

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Sorry, PJ. I didn't mean to suggest that everyone married to a rich bloke should be considered a trophy wife. Though only a modest gardener, me, I've met some very nice rich people who, I'm sure, wouldn't dream of trading in their partners... any more than the rest of us anyway. Just kidding. smiley - winkeye

Best wishes to you and yours. smiley - santa

JTG


'shallowness' - thoughts?

Post 5

RMBuster (Voice of Order)

Thanks, JTG. I do appreciate the sentiment. And I wouldn't really consider all those married to money a "trophy" either, but the term "Trophy Wife" as defined by the US culture has come to mean a very beautiful (and normally sexy) woman, who (for no other reason than money) married the man she is with. (eg. Anna Nicole Smith)

Now when I say I had one, I mean that I had a g/f at a time, who would easily fit into the category, and she was with me for the money, or at least that was the indication she gave me, especially after she had our child and immediately seperated from me and took legal action for child support.

Best wishes to you and yours as well, smiley - santa

PJ


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more