A Conversation for Napster

Cheapskate theives

Post 1

Mike A (snowblind)

"If you steal s**t from the Internet, you're taking a big s**t on us as a band"
Richard Patrick, Filter

Metallica, Don Henly, Filter...they all got a point about Napster. In that it's theft. Napster is theft that's been made 'cool' and a 'good thing to do'. If you walk into a high street retailer and go around stealing albums and stuff off the shelves, you expect to be punished, right? It's a bad thing, right? So what is it about Napster that suddenly makes it legal and ok?

One very good point made by Lars Ulrich was in response to:
"Metallica are invading the privacy of eweb surfers blahblahblahsteal"
to which Lars replied:
"**** that. If you raped a 12-year old girl in the 'privacy' of your living room, would that be alright?"

An extreme and aggressive response, but a valid one. Napster is theft taken to another level. Theft is not good, you know? That's why people who steal are sent to prison or fined!!!!
I work and earn my money in whatever way possible, and am quite happy to spend whatever amount of money is necessary to get the music I love. If you're so cheap that you can't be bothered to show a little bit of dough, then you can hardly call yourself a fan of the music, can you? You can, however, call yourself a cheapskate theif.


Cheapskate theives

Post 2

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Which is why in the first 18 months of Napster, record sales increased by over 18% in the USA.

There are cheapskate thieves who will download crappy compressed MPEGs and play them through their tinny PC speakers, but frankly I think they are negligible.

On the other hand, I can grab a digitised copy of a record or CD *I already own* and save myself some hassle whn I want a bit of background noise on the computer. If I want decent quality, of course I go to my expensive stereo system and put on the original recording.

And I can grab, without risk, somehitng I think I might like. If I don't, I bin it. If I do, I buy it. And in that way, Napster is good for music. They said radio would kill the record industry. It didn't. They say Napster will. I don't think so.


Cheapskate theives

Post 3

Mmmm Blood

as a napsetr user i have to agree, i download the music and buy what i like. its not really any different from recording the song of the radio now is it? well thats me anyway.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more