A Conversation for Talking Point: It's a Wonderful Life?

Wonderful?

Post 1

FordsTowel

Dear friends: share with us some comforting words of wisdom to help us get a bit of perspective.

* In times of trouble, which books and poems, writers and authors do you go to for guidance or solace?
- I'm afraid that I only go to such things when there is no trouble. When trouble hits, I'm far to focussed on finding solutions to seek solace. Of course, if there are books/writers that will help with creating a workable solution, I gladly turn to them.

* Are there any films and songs that speak to your soul, that give you a sense of perspective, imparting wisdom that really helps you? Have you seen It's a Wonderful Life?.
- There are songs that speak to most every aspect of my life. I'm constantly being reminded of songs during everyday events. Films, not so much, although they make great temporary diversions. There is one book that has granted me great perspective, Siddhartha - by Hermann Hesse. It's about a spiritual journey of one man, and speaks to how individual that journey must be.

* In your own life, have you experienced ups and downs and developed a bit of perspective, a 'long view' you might want to share with us?
- Some severe ups and downs, but they've merely reinforced my perspective. My long view is that we're all stuck here on this mudball, and that we are wasting far too much of the planet's resources just fighting over them.
I don't care what types of governments countries have, as long as they exercise compassion for those who have the least, responsibility for those who have the most, tolerance for those with differing opinions, and a cooperative attitude toward advancing humankind's knowledge and freedom.
We only have so much time to reach out into space before the planet's resources are too depleted to make the attempt. How much time? Pick a number. It doesn't matter because it will still be finite.

* Do you think the press is hyping up all the 'bad news' and is therefore partly responsible for a general air of panic? Might things actually be not that bad?
- The Press will always tell the extremes of stories, because news is almost always a business based proposition and they've figured out that 'big' news sells better than bland news. Panic, though, is just our reaction to news. If we understand that the news is hyped, it's easier to take a breath and look deeper into the facts, dispelling the worst of panic.

* Do you 'travel light' in this world or are your affairs inextricably bound up in the global market and all its vicissitudes - mortages, shares, savings, retail etc?
- I've never lost money in stocks, bonds, or other 'paper', because I lost trust for large institutions many years ago. Any publicly traded company has put their business model and long-term health on the block and turned their future over to investors who then assume the right to pressure changes that 'maximize' their stock value, often to the detriment or death of the company into which they invested.
Good, solid businesses have gone defunct because those most capable of making the best long-term decisions were pushed into making the 'best' short-term gain decisions, or forced out entirely.

* Do you think that on a deep level Western society ignores the fact that all human beings eventually die and ignores this 'philosophical crisis', filling the gap instead with shopping?
- That seems an odd question. If one does embrace the philosophical crisis of one's mortality, why not fill the gap with shopping? Whatever one chooses, to fill the gap, the outcome is the same; death. The only way that equation changes is if one assumes that death is not a final endpoint.

* Do you think 'worldly' crises bring us closer to what's really important in life? Often a person is more philosophical after a major crisis; can the same apply to nation states? Will those parts of the world currently affected by the economic crisis feel chastened? Will they reflect more in the future, become more soulful?
- I think that poverty brings us closer to what's really important in life. It is only those with the most limited of resources that have had to truly prioritise to the most basic needs. I actually heard a radio personality say seriously, 'what a great time to be broke, with nothing to lose'. Even though her on-air partner tried to 'clarify' her meaning, she went right on to restate, twice, how much 'better' and 'lucky' the poor were not to be impacted by the downturn of the economy.
I think that the most we can expect, is that a few more people will 'get it', because they've had to severely scale back on their feelings of entitlement and life of extreme ease.
I'm actually doing quite well at the moment, so none of this is bitterness; but, I'm all to aware of what it's like when things all start going badly at once (been there, too).

Good luck and health to all, especially my hootoo friends and acquaintances.

smiley - towel


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more