A Conversation for Talking Point: It's a Wonderful Life?

The way to happiness

Post 1

Mat

Q. In times of trouble, which books and poems, writers and authors do you go to for guidance or solace?

A. I have found and continue to find many comforting words in many surprising sources, including the Dalai Lama - "There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way."


Q. Are there any films and songs that speak to your soul, that give you a sense of perspective, imparting wisdom that really helps you? Have you seen It's a Wonderful Life?.

A. I haven't seen It's a Wonderful Life but Shawshank Redemption always makes me feel good. Not only is it a good message, it's a really well made film.


Q. In your own life, have you experienced ups and downs and developed a bit of perspective, a 'long view' you might want to share with us?

A. Yes, as in the Baz Lerman song Sunscreen, "It's a long race and in the end it's only with yourself", so it's important not to measure your own achievments by other people's. Don't feel pressured to "keep up with the Joneses" or that you should have done a certain thing by the age of 30.


Q. Do you think the press is hyping up all the 'bad news' and is therefore partly responsible for a general air of panic? Might things actually be not that bad?

A. As another poster said, the 24 hour news culture and pressure to sell newspapers does blow things out of proportion. If you look at the last 100 years, there's always been tough times where we needed to be a bit more careful with money and conflict and famine have always been there.


Q. Do you 'travel light' in this world or are your affairs inextricably bound up in the global market and all its vicissitudes - mortages, shares, savings, retail etc?

A. I have some ties, but as long as I can make rent I'm happy.


Q. Do you think that on a deep level Western society ignores the fact that all human beings eventually die and ignores this 'philosophical crisis', filling the gap instead with shopping?

A. I'm not sure about this. The philosophical crisis gap is always filled by something, whether it's religion, art, shopping or hobbies. Some people want the end the game with the most toys. Some want to know what it all means. Others are satisfied with simply being happy.


Q. Do you think 'worldly' crises bring us closer to what's really important in life? Often a person is more philosophical after a major crisis; can the same apply to nation states? Will those parts of the world currently affected by the economic crisis feel chastened? Will they reflect more in the future, become more soulful?

A. a. Yes. Although 9/11 was a US event the pain was shared the world over and it did make people think differently, if only for a while.

b. No, if history has shown us anything it's that greed will always exist and there will always be someone who will forgoe all moral obligations and scr*w their neighbour to make a fast buck.

(Gets down off soapbox)

smiley - ale


The way to happiness

Post 2

orbtrend

The way to happines is easy if when you feel down in the dumps, force yourself to smile. It may not come easy at first but the more you persevere the easier it becomes. Smiling to yourself makes the inner me feel a little better. Don't take my word for it. Just do it and enjoy the experience.
Yours sincerely,
orbtrend


The way to happiness

Post 3

The H2G2 Editors

Good advice Orbtrend. We're endeavouring to do this right now first thing this Monday morning to get the week off to a good start! smiley - ok


The way to happiness

Post 4

Mat

smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more