A Conversation for School Exams - Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Do exams showwhat you've learned?

Post 1

melbmum

At times no.

I know in my studies I deal better with non exam assesments. In one of my subjects I got A in my assignments but on the exam got a d. My brain just doesn't work during exam situations. I knew what i wanted to say but I couldn't express it.


Do exams showwhat you've learned?

Post 2

Mike Zigrosi

I'd say they don't, they just show how quickly you can write it. I had a History GCSE exam last week and I could have written plenty more than I did, I just ran out of time.


Do exams showwhat you've learned?

Post 3

laconian

That's true, being able to write quickly is important in exams, and sometimes this means you can't show off what you know properly. But is there an alternative to exams. And don't say more coursework, because everyone cheats in coursework.


Do exams showwhat you've learned?

Post 4

marianapcosta

Of course not! They're just a method in which the most successfull are the ones who can absorb a uge amout of information and then throw it up in a paper.smiley - erm


Do exams showwhat you've learned?

Post 5

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

Exams in school show nothing of what you've learned. They merely show how well you know how to pass the test.

In college, however, they do allow you to show off what you know, mainly because in biology you HAVE to stick in your own information to get all the marks available.

However I do agree with the first posting, I am pretty s*** in exams (though I think I did fairly all right in college).


Do exams showwhat you've learned?

Post 6

laconian

The problem is, if you're crap at exams you're bound to say they don't show what you've learned. I know plenty of people who say that to make themselves feel better about failing because they haven't worked at it. Of course, I do well in exams so I'm bound to say they should be kept as they are smiley - biggrin.


Do exams showwhat you've learned?

Post 7

Flying-Ninja-Mouse

I blank in exams and dont remember anything, but when I come away I know what I shouldve done


Do exams showwhat you've learned?

Post 8

laconian

To me, exams don't cause me to panic or anything. I just go about my business and answer the questions.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more