A Conversation for A Brief History of the Invention of the Electric Guitar

Writing Workshop: A4068399 - A Brief History of the Invention of the Electric Guitar

Post 1

JEDIMAN40

Entry: A Brief History of the Invention of the Electric Guitar - A4068399
Author: JEDIMAN40 - U205610

I've spent some time compiling a history of the electric guitar. This is just the first bit I have finished. More to come, basically taking the history to present day. Let me know what you think!
JEDIMAN40


A4068399 - A Brief History of the Invention of the Electric Guitar

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi Jediman. This is good, and could do with some work to make it a really good entry about guitars.

The first thing you should know is that there is already a good entry in the Guide about the Fender Telecaster. You should have a read of it before going any further - it might give you some ideas on what sort of stuff to put into your entry. It's at A2939466.

Your entry is brief, but it still deserves an introduction. You should start with a simple paragraph talking about electric guitars and how they dominate the popular music industry today. Then ask did the reader ever wonder how it all began.

At that stage, you can launch into your explanation of the first electric guitar.

Now for some discussion of the content of what you've got.

Where did they get an "electric guitar pickup" from, if this was the first electric guitar ever? Were there pickups for other instruments and they used one of them, or did they have to invent it from scratch?

Is the instrument you describe at the start, the first electric guitar the same one as the one that Les Paul invented, or are these two different instruments? If they're different, how was the original developed and what happened to it? If they're the same you should make this clear.

smiley - ok Good work! Hope you continue to work on this.smiley - smiley


A4068399 - A Brief History of the Invention of the Electric Guitar

Post 3

FordsTowel

Good start here, JM40.

I especially appreciated your description of 'the log'; but, there is brief and then there is brief.

Telling the story of 'the log', you might mention that there was resistance to the idea that the solid body guitar could sound like a guitar. 'The log' was outfitted with the hollow body parts to fool decision makers into listening to it first, and then the extraneous parts would be removed to show them that it sounded exactly the same with just the 4x4 component.

The history deserves to keep a bit of the spice, as well as the flavour, of the event, eh?

smiley - towel


A4068399 - A Brief History of the Invention of the Electric Guitar

Post 4

Cyzaki

Author has elvised - flea market?

smiley - panda


A4068399 - A Brief History of the Invention of the Electric Guitar

Post 5

Mina

Seconded. smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Writing Workshop: A4068399 - A Brief History of the Invention of the Electric Guitar

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more