A Conversation for The Discworld

Welsh Elves?

Post 1

Daibhid Chiennedelh

The Welsh are indeed vamed for their singing, as are the Llamadese (their real Discworld counterparts). Discworld Elves, on the other hand, emphatically are not. And there's not much Welsh about them either. Buddy looks Elvish, but that's just a cheap gag.
Can I mention the alt.fan.pratchett and alt.books.pratchett newsgroups at this point?


Welsh Elves?

Post 2

Daibhid Chiennedelh

Okay, Elves are known for their singing, but it's not actually musical as such. The Llamadese malle voice choirs, however, are famed, as are the harpers and bards of that country. This is clearly Discworld Wales. Why there isn't a Discworld Scotland (Lancre doesn't count) is beyond me


Scottish Stuff

Post 3

shrinkwrapped

To tell you the truth, It's been a while since I read the Discworld series (I can't bring myself to finish Carpe Jugulum). But I'm sure I remember one of the Disc's races wearing kilts and or tossing the Caber? Maybe not actually a Scottish personification, but certainly a nudge towards the stereotype. Anyone remember?


Scottish Stuff

Post 4

Louis Wu

On the subject of a Scots equivalent, TP obviously sees the Gnomes in this role. Wee mad Arthur in Feet of Clay could only have originated (figuratively speaking) in The Gorbals and lot that invaded Lancre in 'Carpe Jugulum' even call themselves 'Pictsies'.
Why Terry should picture the Scots as six inches high with heads like rocks and a capacity for drink capable of draining Nanny OGG's still beats me... But the I don't know that many Scots.


Welsh Elves?

Post 5

Borin Olnaim

No smiley - smiley


Welsh Elves?

Post 6

Borin Olnaim

I know a few scots, and I've got to say that when it comes to drinking, those that do would fight their shadow after a wee dram! The reason they're 6 inches tall, is that they're lying down, but I can't say whether their heads are particularly hard. ()


Scottish Stuff

Post 7

Grey Area

Not about Discworld, never read it, but I feel a song coming on...
Louis, Louis Wu,
Where are you?
There's nothing on your Homepage!
If you don't put in, something for the bin,
You'll feel a spot of Webrage!
Coulda been worse, I was working on a version of "It's a Kzin..."


Scottish Stuff

Post 8

shrinkwrapped

You're right! Having got round to reading Carpe Jugulum, you're right about the Gnomes - I'm sorry, Pixies - being scottish.


Welsh Elves?

Post 9

Ploppy

Welsh Elves? The elves I remember from Lords and Ladies were nasty, brutish and exuded charisma from every orifice. On the other hand, Welsh people are rude, xenophobic and have all the charisma of a recently deceased bumble bee. Can anyone remember Max Boyce without an involuntary shudder? Has anyone ever heard of Elves mining coal, forming choirs and buggering sheep?

Wales would be greatly improved by releasing a large quantity of Discworld Elves in the general area.


Welsh Elves?

Post 10

Proff

Dunno, my brother in law is Welsh, and a fine specimen of a friend you could not better, and he stands at 6'2".
On the other hand, my manager is also Welsh in origin, more like 4'10", his eyes are on stalks, he chews gum..... Enough Said!
I haver never found a decent eatery in Wales, does everything come with an extra portion of grease?
In the late '60s early 70s, most of our students were from Wales, and you could not find a better bunch of loyal bodyguards in the world.
Imagine walking into a rough pub, calling everybody a W....r, with a rugby team behind you, those were the days!


Welsh Elves?

Post 11

wizzard

About your brother in law,..... remember how
Carrott is a dwarf, and he stands taller than 6 foot!


Welsh Elves?

Post 12

Proff

I eat Carrots raw.
There again, I also know of a gay chef who does things with them prior to serving to some of his less likeable customers........


Scottish Stuff

Post 13

Shelledpea

Finish reading Carpe jugulum! It's rather good and gets better towards the end. It's not actually the supposed scottish stuff that I like, but scraps (The dog with two...).


Welsh Elves?

Post 14

BuskingBob

The Elvish joke is even funnier on the video. Soul Music is my favourite Discworld story - each time I read it I see a musical (or literary) jest that I had not seen before. (The book itself is a favourite, as it was signed by the author)

I presume that you caught the Dylan Thomas allusion in Llamedos?


Welsh Elves?

Post 15

Daibhid Chiennedelh

I did. Anyone else?


Welsh Elves?

Post 16

arwen, doing nasty essays. being a student should *not* involve work!

the welsh are xenophobic?! how about the english (who are british whenever england loose at sport) who ridicule the scottish, welsh and irish to the point of racism?


Key: Complain about this post