A Conversation for Volunteer to be a Sub-editor

Being a sub-editor

Post 1

ChiKiSpirit

Hello

I'm Pond_Wanderer
My number is U7115343

I've been wandering around h2g2 for some time trying to make up my mind in which direction it is that I would like to help and feel that sub-editing would be my best bet.

My command of the English language is good, although I may make a few errors with my grammar from time to time.

Would you like to give me a go? (On probation for a couple of entries perhaps...)

smiley - elf


Being a sub-editor

Post 2

Leo


We don't do probation. smiley - biggrin Instead, you do the probation thing by writing an entry or two or three for the edited guide. Basically, write something factual and encyclopedic and submit it to the Peer Review forum. Take the corrections from other Researchers, polish your piece, and wait for a Scout to choose it.

If the editors like the quality of your work they'll take your offer to sub. If not, they won't. But I don't think anyone gets to be a sub-editor without producing an Edited Entry first.
smiley - ok

If you need any help along the process, just yell. As a subbie, scout, and several time EG-writer, I can offer you any assistance you need.


Being a sub-editor

Post 3

ChiKiSpirit


I wrote this a few years ago.
Will that do, or do I have to write something else as well.

A861400

I actually have more time for reading than writing factual stuff at the moment. I do have one 'psychology' piece I was going to write but I'm in the middle of doing some 'fantasy' that has to go with it.

smiley - elf


Being a sub-editor

Post 4

Leo

Hm. It has a fighting chance. Though I will warn you: unscientific stuff gets lots of flak from reviewers.

Copy it over into a new entry and submit it to the EGWW and we can polish it up for PR. smiley - ok


Being a sub-editor

Post 5

Skankyrich [?]

Probably won't get very much flak at all, that one, Leo. It's already in the EG smiley - smiley I think Pond Wanderer is referring to something he's written, but that is not yet onsite.


Being a sub-editor

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

Pond wanderer continuously changes her name on here. She's known under several accounts, most of them containing the name chikki in one form or another.
I could imagine that to be a somewhat confusing habit for a sub-ed.


Being a sub-editor

Post 7

Leo

Edited... Indeed. smiley - biggrin It did seem sufficiently objective in tone; I guess that's why. Not written by Pond Wanderer, though.

Multiple accounts and past activity ignored, if the user named Pond Wanderer were to maintain a consistent record in Peer Review for a sufficient amount of time, he/she could conceivably be eligible to sub.

Any activity, including entries written under other names, would not count toward the record of Pond Wanderer.

smiley - ok


Being a sub-editor

Post 8

Skankyrich [?]

Well summed up, Leo smiley - ok


Being a sub-editor

Post 9

ChiKiSpirit

I cannot understand what B'Elana has against me wanting to be a sub-editor, or the fact that I have been known as ChiKiSpirit from the very first day I set mouse on the internet. The fact that that ID is unavailable at the present moment in my laptop is neither here nor there.


Being a sub-editor

Post 10

Skankyrich [?]

I don't see that she does. Both Bel and Leo are correct that you will find it very difficult to join the Sub-editors scheme until one of your aliases has a good track record in writing and reviewing. Leo's post 7 is absolutely correct. The same rules apply to every applicant to the scheme; if you want to be a Sub-editor, you must prove that you can do a good job in the same way that you would have to prove your competence to a potential employer.

If you cannot use your other alias, you could email the Editors explaining your problem and they will try to sort it out for you.


Being a sub-editor

Post 11

ChiKiSpirit

smiley - ok Thanks for that. I can't see that this should have anything to do with future employers, however, this is a pastime I would do in my free time and I do not visit h2g2 in any way shape or form to look for a job.


Being a sub-editor

Post 12

Skankyrich [?]

I was just drawing a parallel for you, PW - if any of us were here looking for work, we'd all be sorely disappointed smiley - smiley

What I mean is that if you were to go for a job, you'd have to show your potential employer that you had experience of doing something similar. Applying for the sub-editors is the same; you need to show that you have experience of writing and improving Entries to be accepted. I hope that makes sense now!


Being a sub-editor

Post 13

ChiKiSpirit

Fair enough. I'll see about writing a couple of entries.
Thank you for your understanding.

smiley - elf


Being a sub-editor

Post 14

Skankyrich [?]

No problem. Pop back if you need any advice smiley - smiley


Being a sub-editor

Post 15

ChiKiSpirit

Thank you. smiley - smiley


Being a sub-editor

Post 16

aka Bel - A87832164

May I quote this:

>>so it is important that everyone participating in the scheme takes great care not to offend or annoy other members. Anyone being deliberately offensive will be warned and, if necessary, will be removed from the scheme.<<

Now would you please look here:

F127405?thread=4660952

It's not the first time one of the many aliases left me such a message, accusing me of weird things.
It's not a behaviour a sub-ed -volunteer should show, imo.


Being a sub-editor

Post 17

ChiKiSpirit

Dear B'Elana

I don't think this is the correct place for you to try and sort out your differences with me. Perhaps you should visit me in My Space and discuss this properly.

smiley - elf


Being a sub-editor

Post 18

Leo


We-ell... you both have good points. All volunteers are supposed to follow a sort of Boy Scout's code of honor, which can be summarized as: don't give too many people too many reasons to not like you. If Pond Wanderer were to create a good record in the interpersonal stuff as well as in Peer Review, that would certainly help the case. And presumably, not too many people will hold the past against a user genuinely attempting to turn over a new leaf.

smiley - ok


Being a sub-editor

Post 19

ChiKiSpirit

I have been here for more than five years now, Br. Leo, if that is not long enough for you, I am sorry. There is no more I can do. I will endeavour to write something for Peer Review or carry on looking at some of the great works of art in the Alternative Writing Workshop where you will discover a couple of my entries from a number of years ago.


Being a sub-editor

Post 20

Leo


It isn't time that makes a difference, it's contribution. As I mentioned previously:
Sub-editors are chosen based on their contribution to the Edited Guide through participation in the Peer Review forum.

If you write a few good entries and make some incisive comments on those written by other people, you have a chance of becoming a sub-editor. If not, not.

It's not because the volunteers are snobby. It's simply that before trusting people with an important part of the Guide, they need to know that, well, they can trust them.

smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post