A Conversation for Holiday tips - Orlando

Silver springs, Ocala

Post 1

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Nature theme park. Once you enter, all activities are free.

Lots of alligators in captive, but also running loose in the park. Stay a good 4 yards away from any 'gator. They don't usually attack unless provoked, but may mistake small children for food, usually in the evenings.
The park has several boat rides, through the smaller branches of the river (monkeys can be seen in the woods, which have escaped years ago and now live free), and on the main river (at least two rides, glass bottom boats). The water is really clear, and the 15 foot deep spring wells seem close enough to touch. Shells and sand swirl as the water presses up from underground. Tarzan and James Bond movies have been shot in the springs due to the clear waters, and props (fake ancient statues and shipwrecks) are pointed out on boat ride.
Lots of wildlife: Turtles, alligators and lots of birds, from moorhen to bald eagles, ibis and three kinds of heron, vultures and other. The park rescues birds that have been injured, and release the ones that have healed. Some heal to some extent, and are displayed in a 20 minute wild bird show where you can have owl and hawks flying just inches over your head.
... more to come later...
smiley - towel


Silver springs, Ocala

Post 2

Beatrice

That's great! look forward to some more smiley - smiley


Silver springs, Ocala

Post 3

Milla, h2g2 Operations

...on another boat trip, you get to view birds that cannot heal - an owl missing an eye, a brain damaged kite that cannot remember how to hunt from one day to the next, so has to be fed manually, a vulture with a missing wing among others.
We were lucky to spot lots of wild birds on this longer trip down river - again, the vultures, ibis and herons, and even before the captain saw it, I pointed out a bald eagle to the children and he picked up just after that... Moorhens, turtles and alligators are very common, and all like to catch the sun, beautifully displaying themselves.
They have a few bears of different types - the honey coloured grizzly (I think) is majestic - and also a family of giraffes. You can buy suitable biscuits to feed the giraffes, but beware of the stink! For some reason they have a pungent odour...
On a jeep+trailer trek, they have deer, pigs, llama and a camel, and if you're lucky you will spot more of the monkeys that ran away.
By the gator cage, they have some more birds, like flamingo, and a secretary bird, and an exhibit of lots of kinds of alligators, caymans and crocodiles.
For me, it was spotting the wild birds that made the most impact, especially the bald eagle. Also, the bird show with birds "on the mend" is nice. Very gentle on the birds, very much rewarding their desired behaviour, but no artificial tricks, mainly flying across the audience or standing on a trainers hand. It doesn't seem straining to the birds, which feels good.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more