A Conversation for h2g2 Post 26.05.05

Most Vital Thing Here

Post 1

Pinniped


Please don't even think about winding up the Post, shazzsmiley - yikes

Nothing else can fulfil the Post's role, because this is our hothouse. As such, it plays a main role in sustaining hootoo and in encouraging fresh talent to stick.

There's only one place where great writing is consistently brought to community notice and showcased within days of its arrival. Everywhere else effectively treats newbies as probationers, and everywhere else operates within style boundaries.

The Post is always a good read too, and that speaks volumes for the editor as well as for the contributors.

Keep it up, and please don't doubt your value. The Post is up there with the best of h2g2. If we count only what's being written today (and now and again we should look at ourselves in that light), then it *is* the best of h2g2.

Thanks.

Pinsmiley - ok


Most Vital Thing Here

Post 2

several, a/k/a random

i second that emotion. what is a Guide without a weekly update ?
not knocking all the excellent Entrys, but The Post does provide a pulse, the Esteemed Editor and The Post Team connect the dots.....so no, The Post belongs.
smiley - musicalnote
smiley - vampire


Most Vital Thing Here

Post 3

J

Agree with Pin. smiley - smiley
It's the only place that h2g2's denizens can vocalize on the state of the site and current events in entry form. It's the only place we have cartoons, fictional serials, meet reports, personal film reviews, unsterilized recipes and other things. It's also a much more inviting place for poetry than the UnderGuide, I think (there are nine poems in the UG, five poems in the Post only this week).

Of course, nothing can't be made better. If you need some help recruiting fresh new talent, I'd be happy to see what I can do smiley - ok

smiley - blacksheep


Most Vital Thing Here

Post 4

Terran

Hootoo without the post is unthinkable. The Post crew gave me a wonderful opportunity to have a go at writing, and there is no way I'd have found the motivation with out it... it was one hell of ride and I have to thank you all for giving me the opportunity to do it... as well as taking on some of my shorter lasting attempts - but we'll forget those for the moment *ahem* smiley - winkeye

There may be different things we could do with the post, as all things change and adapt to deal with new situations, but the Post in some form should always be here.

I did have an idea that the Post could maybe be laid out like a magazine, on the main page, with the contents underneath, and kind of a picture laden front page... but thats just one idea I had, and might not be a particularly good idea... but I just thought I'd lay out at least one idea.


Most Vital Thing Here

Post 5

LMScott

I apologise for taking so much time to find what is probably the foundation stone of a sense of direction for this great site.

Thoughts of closure should be diverted in other directions, and the prime purpose of h2g2 should be highlighted, together with the presence of sections like this one.

Consideration should also be given to avoiding the chat line mentality, and dare I say it cartoon type of illustrations, serious debate needs serious diagrams, photographs and maps to explain dialogue correctly.

I know! difficulty with copyrights etc, "but difficulties are only there to be challenged and overcome".

Cheers H.

smiley - biggrinsmiley - magic


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more