A Conversation for Slayerville

SMG's finest hour

Post 1

Bud_White

Okay, a while ago I started a thread devoted to James Martser's finest performance, and promised a follow-up for other actors in the cast. And here it is for SMG. As with the JM thread, I expect no consensus, but that doesn't mean we can't have fun tryingsmiley - smiley.

For me, SMG's finest episode is Prophecy Girl. The one scene in the library when she discovers she is prophecised to die would win it on its own for me, but her overall performance is also excellent.

Honourable mentions would go to:

Innocence (in particular, the scene in the school corridor, where she just slumps against the wall).

Becoming Pt II (kinda goes without saying, really).

Amends (the wonderful look on her face when Xander comes into Giles' office and offers to help is subtlety epitomised - it does away with any need to have a line indicating her forgiveness).

The Prom

The Gift

Bargaining (both parts).

So, anyway, what are your thoughts, people?


SMG's finest hour

Post 2

semper_paratus

I find this one quite tough, because, like JM, I really wasn't keen on her character. As time went by she seemed to become more detached and a whole lot colder, yes she carried the weight of the world on her shoulders and boy did she show it. Not really the actions of a hero. But still, she did have some classic moments.

Her best for me would be from 'Bring On The Night'. Her speech at the end, after she is almost beaten to death by the Ubervamp, very inspirational.

Becoming,Part II is pretty much a given and 'The Gift'.

Her speech in the clocktower to Jonathan was truely tear jerking and still having some memories of my own school days, when I was Jonathan ( without the high powered rifle of course), it made me think and bought to rest some old demons of my own.

The big tear jerker was of course from 'The Prom', just wonderful!

smiley - biggrin Xander


SMG's finest hour

Post 3

meMoRial AveRsioN

Hey I didn't really know where to post i'm kinda new i suppose lol so umm Hi


SMG's finest hour

Post 4

semper_paratus

Hey Cordy,

Welcome to Slayerville, just join in on any conversation that is posted, it's only been a couple of weeks , but we've got some good conversations going, just find one that interests you and post a message, or start a new conversation.

smiley - biggrin Xander


SMG's finest hour

Post 5

Carlyle Ferris

Hi cordy, welcome home.

My favourite SMG moments are, in Prophecy Girl where she says to Xander, "I don't...feel the thing." In Checkpoint, "I'm pretty sure I said no interruptions". In Beneath You to Spike, "You got your soul back." All of Innocence. In fact I think she was pretty good in 144 of the episodes.

C


SMG's finest hour

Post 6

Staker Boi

I think Bud was talking more about SMG's performances than Buffy the character, and there are too many good ones to list them all, so I'll pick my favourite three.

I think Normal Again deserves a mention for her portrayal of both bordering-on-the-insane Buffy and possibly the coldest, most sinister Buffy I've seen on the show during the sequence near the end.

In Helpless SMG plays a completely different Buffy to what we're used to seeing, and does a fantastic job of showing vulnerability and emotion.

My favourite, though, is her acting in The Prom. The way she delivers her lines in the break-up scene with Angel is superb and not at all overdone, and shows what a special talent she is. This is only topped by the ensuing scene with Willow, in which she breaks down and says "I can't breathe...." The fact that SMG has herself said that this is her favourite episode (not that she's sat down and watched them all, or anything....) makes me love her performance all the more.


SMG's finest hour

Post 7

Carlyle Ferris

Thank you Staker. I know what Bud was talking about. This is why I said SMG's greatest performances, not Buffys.

Look at her face in the scenes I mentioned and you will see why.

C


SMG's finest hour

Post 8

Staker Boi

Sorry, I wasn't actually referring to your post, Doctor, but Xander's. Please don't think I'm trying to cause any conflict, Xand, but it seemed as though you were talking more about Buffy's greatest moments than SMG's. All of the moments you mentioned, however, were great SMG ones too.


SMG's finest hour

Post 9

semper_paratus

I do find it difficult to define the difference, surely a great Buffy moment is because of that actors performance. The writing matters, but without the right actor, you just end up with a Stephen King film (Misery is an exception).

Classic movies are defined by their moments, the moments are defined by that particular actors performance and the writing of course. If you have one without the other, it's not a classic film.

All the Buffy moments I picked, were because of Sarah's performances, although I did notice that I forgot one particular performance and that was from CWDP, Sarah's whole performance in that was phenominal.

smiley - biggrin Xander

PS. Smiles all around and no conflict please, I'm to silly for fighting.


SMG's finest hour

Post 10

Staker Boi

You're absolutely right, it's very difficult to have these great scenes unless everything comes together to help make it. I think all of the scenes we have mentioned so far were wonderfully acted by SMG, but obviously when you get scripts as good as the ones she was getting each week, it can only have helped in motivating her to a higher level of acting. Perhaps it would be more interesting to think of scenes that only have average lines (difficult, I know) but are made into something better by SMG's talent?

One that springs to mind is at the end of Buffy Vs Dracula, when Buffy is talking to Giles about wanting to "know more about where I come from". I thought SMG's delivery here was absolutely top drawer. Really made you feel she was invested in her character.

Interesting you pick CWDP as a Sarah highlight, as this isn't an obvious choice when it comes to discussing her best performances. She does a very good job, however, with her angsty moments which is what she excels at of course.


SMG's finest hour

Post 11

Carlyle Ferris

One that we have overlooked perhaps is in the body. I am thinking particularly of the walk from the telephone to the back door. Again it was all about the face. Also when she is sitting on the seat with Tara. Another that I liked was where Giles is going to go back to England and she says, "You're wrong" to him. I can't remember the episode.
I can't agree that the script is not an essential part of a performance. It is only necessary to watch the recent Star Wars movies to realise that a chronic script leaves even good actors floundering. It is a combination of script, acting and directing that suddenly comes together to produce these magic moments. I think Buffy was an exception in that it often had all three together.

I watched the Hannigan in Beyond city limits, where the direction was appalling and in spite of her acting it did not work. It may just be that SMG can overcome all the odds!

C


SMG's finest hour

Post 12

HonestIago

This is quite tricky, despite being the hero, Buffy doesn't seem to have many stand-out moments and SMG doesn't seem to shine as much as Ms Hannigan. However she does have some great moments:
The Gift, talking to Giles "I wish my mom was here" which just makes me melt
The Body, delivering the bad news to Dawn
The Prom, as mentioned by almost everyone and for good reason
Earshot, her speech to Jonathan which is in the running for the 'Best Moment in The Entire Show' award
Telling Spike how she'd been in Heaven in After Life


SMG's finest hour

Post 13

oldramon

I am entirely biased when it comes to SMG's acting. I genuinely believe she is an exceptionally gifted actor whose ability is often overlooked. I would not claim that she is at her very best in every single episode of 'Buffy', although I don't think she ever gives a bad performance. Episodes like 'Prophecy Girl', 'Innocence' and 'Helpless' speak for themselves, but here are four more random episodes in which I think she is absolutely tremendous:

Never Kill A Boy On The First Date
Killed By Death (as someone once said, Gellar gives good flu)
The Freshman
After Life (for me this is possibly her finest single performance in the show apart from 'The Body')


SMG's finest hour

Post 14

Carlyle Ferris

I have just watched Amends again. So I am going to nominate the scene on the grassy Knoll. I actually believe that DB came up to the mark in that scene and as a result SMG just took it up one more level. When he shook her like a rag doll.............


C


SMG's finest hour

Post 15

Carlyle Ferris

14th April 1977. Sarah Michelle Gellar was born. Now that could well qualify as her finest hour. Happy birthday SMG, long may you reign.


Talking of finest hours. That dress in the library at the start of choices......need I say more.

C


SMG's finest hour

Post 16

oldramon


"That dress in the library at the start of Choices... need I say more?"

Explain yourself, Dr Ferris! No, actually, perhaps you had better not.

Good point about the date.

A new "finest hour" might be SMG making a wish come true for a long-time fan called RJ - via the 'Make-a-Wish Foundation', an American charity that grants 'wishes' to children and young people with life threatening illnesses. Anyone who is interested can find some photos (message #1 and #124) and RJ's report (message #141) here:

http://www.smgboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19200

I was rather touched by this - and it's nice to read something that isn't negative for a change.


SMG's finest hour

Post 17

semper_paratus

Sarah does show the positive side of fame with her external charity work. Well done sarah.

As for that dress, sorry Doc, has to be the rain coat, in the library with Xander... 'Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered', no contest in my mind.

Happy birthday Sarah.smiley - cake

smiley - biggrin Xander


SMG's finest hour

Post 18

Kat

Yes, happy birthday Sarah smiley - smiley.


SMG's finest hour

Post 19

Kat

As for favourite acting moment I think it's probably the opening section of "The Body" in particular the bit where she's says "mommie" right at the begining regressing into a small girl just wanting her mum to be there.


SMG's finest hour

Post 20

Carlyle Ferris

Having just watched Never Kill a Boy.. I have to add the moment when Buffy comes into the Bronze and sees Owen dancing with Cordelia. There are no words but the expression on Sarah's face tells the whole story. The coup de grace is her final little glance over her shoulder as she leaves. Now that is what I call acting.


Carlyle.


Key: Complain about this post