A Conversation for Film Club

What´s the title of this film?

Post 1

Maria


I saw the film a few years ago, but don´t know the title in English. I´ve thought you could help me: Marlon Brandon is the sheriff of the town, Robert Redford is a young man blamed for murder,all the village (racists, gossipers, ill-natured people) want to have fun "hunting the man"
The spanish title is A pack of human hounds, I think the author is Anthonny... don´t know, but may be you know a place in the web where I can find it out ( and get it??!!). Thanks, I love that film, despite I get angry. I would use it for my lessons. it´s quite current, it´s human condition.
Do you know films for teenagers, not just to enjoy, I mean educative, I´ve used Billy Elliot, some even cried!!
Also Brian´s Life, just for fun, but it brought me some problems with some parents, some people lack any sense of humoursmiley - tongueout

maríasmiley - smiley


What´s the title of this film?

Post 2

Maria


I´ve found it in Marlon Brando´s films. It is The Chase, by Arthur Penn.

smiley - smiley


What´s the title of this film?

Post 3

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I've never seen it, but I looked it up, and it sounds like something I'd like. If Netflix have it, I'll add it to my queue.

Honestly, I don't know if I can recommend many films that teenagers might find entertaining. As a teenager, my tastes were a bit unusual; nowadays I tend to enjoy cheesy exploitation films, schlock horror, and inpenetrable art films. smiley - biggrin

What sort of things are you trying to teach the teenagers in question?


What´s the title of this film?

Post 4

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

A teacher in English lessons showed us 'Kes' and 'The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner', both excellent films but maybe a little dated now. We used to make much better films in Britain than we do now.


What´s the title of this film?

Post 5

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Gregory's Girl is a treat.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082477/


What´s the title of this film?

Post 6

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

I used to know the author of Kes socially. smiley - smiley


What´s the title of this film?

Post 7

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Rumblefish
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086216/
A good film for introducing teenagers to the idea of cinematography.


What´s the title of this film?

Post 8

Maria


Hi people,
Is netflix something like emule? I can´t use it now.
I think I´ll ask for the films you mention to my library.
The students know Susan E. Hinton, teachers ask them to read The outsiders, I´ve got the novel, (Rebeldes is the translation title) but I haven´t read it yet.

I´ve taught Classical Culture (grecolatin myths, writers,...all quite superficial and simple)- there where I used the Brian´s life film-; Spanish language and Literature ( Lucky to have so many films based on spanish literature, I would recomend you a few); Drama lessons; yoga andsmiley - run English Language. smiley - bubbly No, Im not drunk, Belive me, I´m a good teacher, I prepare the lessons with much respect to them.

I follow the Howard Gadner theory of Multiple Intelligences, One of the things he recommends is to use films, not exactly that, but I´m not going to kill you with pedagogical explanations, however , I think his books are worthwhile reading, no matter your job.
Sorry, I tend to be too personal, should stick to the topic FILMS, well but cinema has to do with everything...smiley - biggrin

mariasmiley - teasmiley - cakesmiley - choc


What´s the title of this film?

Post 9

Maria


"all quite superficial and simple", I mean the content is adapted to kids of 13 -14 years old, we dont´read Plato or Something like that.
smiley - smiley


What´s the title of this film?

Post 10

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Yes, definitely Rumblefish, then. Coppola also filmed 'The Outsiders', but Rumblefish is a more innovative piece of cinema. Even Mickey Rourke's good in it!

By the way...the idiosyncrasies of English are frustrating. There are some occasions on which we spell out the possesive in full: 'The Life of Brian'. How are people expected to know that?

Graeco-Roman myths? You could try 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' which is (loosely) based on Homer's Oddysey.

And since you've mentioned Brian's Life smiley - winkeye, how about 'Momty Python's Life of Brian'? or 'The Time Bandits'? Or even 'Jabberwocky'?

(Do you know the poem Jabberwocky? Spanish translation - of a sort - here:
http://www76.pair.com/keithlim/jabberwocky/translations/index.html


What´s the title of this film?

Post 11

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Ooh, "Tine Bandits". Love it! "Jabberwocky", too. Good suggestions from Edward.

I was going to suggest a bit of Shakespeare with "Scotland, PA", but it's got a fair amount of cussing so it might not be appropriate for your purposes.


What´s the title of this film?

Post 12

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Well, now...any of the Kenneth Branagh Shakespeares. Denzel Washington's wonderful in 'Much Ado About Nothing'

Or the Gus van Zandt ones. Or...and this really would be a good idea...Baz Luhrman's 'Romeo+Juliet'.


What´s the title of this film?

Post 13

Maria

Are Time bandits and Jabberwocky from Monty Phyton?

I hope there´s not any part or human anatomy too exposedsmiley - erm, I´m not puritan but I usually work in religious school and some are too worried about that, Children can see a murder but never a breast or something like that.
smiley - smiley


What´s the title of this film?

Post 14

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

"Are Time bandits and Jabberwocky from Monty Phyton?"

They're from former Python and famed director Terry Gilliam. Various Pythons appear in the two films.


"Children can see a murder but never a breast or something like that."

In that case they'll be able to enjoy a rather bloody Henry V, but not the more beautiful Othello.

Not sure I'm clear on what you're teaching goals are?


What´s the title of this film?

Post 15

Maria

My main "teaching goal" is that they can learn English through diversed ways. They love films, it changes the routine of the classroom, they are "exposed" to real English, It´s an excellent way to make them talk ( in English) and later write after a reflection on any topic of the film.
And sometimes, a film can move a mind more easily than anything else, it´s cathartic, so if in the film, a good English is used (not too dialectal or jargon) and has also an useful message for them, much better.
smiley - smiley
María


What´s the title of this film?

Post 16

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

I'd suggest Ken Loach's 'Sweet Sixteen' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313670/ - but that might not be the kind of English you want to teach them. Put it this way...he uses subtitles at the start to give the audience a chance to get used to the dialect.

Mind you...Ken Loach also has some films which are partly in Spanish:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212826/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115832/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114671/

The last one especially should have some resonance.

(PC - look at the cast list for the last one and see if you recognise anyone smiley - winkeye)


What´s the title of this film?

Post 17

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I do indeed! smiley - cool

"Bread and Roses" sounds fantastic. I don't think I've seen anything by Loach. I might need to.

Still haven't come up with any suggestions for mariangus, but I'm thinking!


What´s the title of this film?

Post 18

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

>>I don't think I've seen anything by Loach. I might need to.

smiley - yikesYou really need to put that right. I saw his 'The Wind That Shakes The Barley' recently. Try 'My Name is Joe'. Actually...try any of them.

Here's another recommendation (but not for school kids smiley - smiley) that I watched last night.
'The History Boys' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0464049/
It's very stagey, being a filmed version of a National Theatre production by playwright and national treasure, Alan Bennet - but it's good to have a record of a great play.


What´s the title of this film?

Post 19

Maria


Ken Loach could bring me some trouble, but I know how to overcome that. I usually work in private school ( Im now out of work)I sustitute teachers in maternity-leaves or something similar. The schools are mostly religious and quite conservative politically,( just the reverse of me) ( see why I want to be a state teacher?)

Ken Loach film´s make people commiserate with those who are suffering. He is realy sensitive about other´s feelings... His films are perfect for teenagers: they tend to be too self-centered. Carla´s Song may do and LAND AND FREEDOM, but Bread and roses... When i teach the lexical family of "fuck", which I doubt.
I´m talking mainly from the sinopsis you have linked.

I think LAND AND FREEDOM would be a good one for them. Mainly because any good person feel gratitude to those people who came to Spain to fight Fascism. I´ts very moving. I think there won´t be any other sample of idealism and generosity as this. We tend to stay in a kind of ataraxia mood.
LAND AND FREEDOM, could be troublesome for me because the current political situation in Spain is quite...messy, The Law for the Historical Memory that tries to dignify the Republican deads is "hurting" and making angry to a lot of "conservative" people.
PAUL PRESTON´s opinion is quite accurate about that.

I´m going to watch LAND AND FREEDOM, maybe I can show it anyway.
smiley - smiley


What´s the title of this film?

Post 20

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

I believe that Glasgow sent more people then the rest of the whole UK. There's a statue of La Passionara next to the River Clyde to commemorate them.

There was a fascinating documentary on Scottish TV recently about an Anarchist woman who produced a newspaper in Barcelona...Agnes Somebody (I forget her name) smiley - blush

No pasaran etc.


Key: Complain about this post