A Conversation for h2g2's Alternative Prospectus

University of Kent

Post 1

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

Until recently known as The University of Kent at Canterbury, this uni has grown (as have the other Kent-based institutions) to become a multi-site operation, including a co-operative venture, Universities at Medway, which is a Chatham-based campus run jointly with Canterbury Christ Church University and the University of Greenwich.

UoK's main campus is perched on a hill overlooking Canterbury, giving a wonderful view of the city, particularly when the cathedral is either lit up at night or emerging from the mist in the early morning. Most first-year students live on campus, either in halls of residence or in the Parkwood student village. Many overseas students or students returning from a work or overseas placement also live on Parkwood.

Canterbury has a couple of nightclubs, which are thought of as OKish, and the students union also runs The Venue on campus. The city has a two-screen cinema and a 1000-seater theatre - Ashford, which is reasonably close, has a multiplex cinema. The university campus is home to the Gulbenkian theatre, which is a more intimate venue, often hosting touring comedians and the like, as well as providing a home for the university's drama societies. It also runs Cinema 3, an 'aternative' cinema, showing art films, foreign language films and other movies that the city cinema overlooks.

The drama department is very proud that Alan Davies (Jonathan Creek, QI) is a graduate.

- - - - -

Unfortunately, as I graduated six years ago, most other info I have would most likely be out of date. Happy to answer any queries, though, as I still live in Canterbury and work for the rival Canterbury Christ Church University.

David


University of Kent

Post 2

Natalie

This is great info, thanks very much David.

I didn't attend Kent, but I'm just going to post bits of info to just keep things going.

So - it was founded in 1965, and, aside from Alan Davies, famous alumni include Gavin Esler (from Newsnight), newsreader Shuilie Ghosh and novelist Kazuo Ishiguro. Impressive stuff!

The university website is: http://www.kent.ac.uk
The students' union website is: http://www.kentunion.co.uk/

Did you enjoy your time there? And you work for the rival institution, Canterbury Christ Church University - does this mean another thread is imminent?! smiley - run


University of Kent

Post 3

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

University of Kent also has a Campus at Westwood, Broadstairs. I never went to UoK, but I lived in Ramsgate for 20 years. I would point out that, as a University, it probably has the best view of any University in the Country, being pwrched on a hill, looking over the Environs of Canterbury and the Weald of Kent. I also vaguely remember it had another part over by the Prison, but that could be my mind playing tricks...

I wouild love to have the time to do a definitive entry on Canterbury, but I have a number on the go already. If you want to do a combined one I'd be happy to assist... smiley - ok

Good, though. Thanks.

smiley - musicalnote


University of Kent

Post 4

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

I know Canterbury Christ Church University has a Broadstairs campus, but I'm fairly certain UoK doesn't... The part by the prison is definitely CCCU's main campus (I know, because I work there!). A look at the website reveals that UoK has campusses in Canterbury, Chatham (the Universities at Medway thingy), Tonbridge and Brussels (!). CCCU and UoK are very, very different institutions.

I agree about the view. smiley - magic


University of Kent

Post 5

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Thanks for that, David. I must admit I have been moved out for 23 years, so a bit hazy. However I do go back when I can. Maybe next weekend if the weather is good, as I haven't been for a year at least.

smiley - ok

smiley - musicalnote


Key: Complain about this post