A Conversation for Plumbing in British Hotels

A cause

Post 1

Is mise Duncan

In the UK we use the same water mains for the fire service as well as pure domestic customers. This means that there is a fairly serious chance that if a fire tender were to start pumping out whilst you had (say) a shower head in the bath, dirty water would be sucked into the clean water supply. To prevent this there is an air gap in the cold water tank (usually found under all the dead pigeons in the loft) which prevents water being sucked back.
However, this also limits the water pressure of the cold water to that given by the height of the tank above the shower head. This pressure is shared between all the tapos so the more cold water taps that are on the lower the cold water pressure is. So you are having a lovely shower and someone somewhere flushes the loo and the cold water pressure is reduced so the hot is dominant - and you get scalded like a lobster.
That's just the way it is smiley - sadface


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more