Plumbing in British Hotels

3 Conversations


Throughout Western society1, the decor, facilities and atmosphere of most hotels have converged on a vision of soulless uniformity. Whether it's the mass-produced ersatz 'art', the spirit-crushing piped music, the pointless folding of the toilet paper into a peak, or the joyless smiles of the long-suffering desk staff, within minutes of entering any such hotel the guest is deprived of all social cues and is in a world essentially devoid of culture. Fortunately for those travelling in Britain, a creative force exists which cannot be stamped out by the mindless corporate suits who would paint the whole world a uniform shade of grey.

Shower Power


Happily, the typical British hotel has the wholly remarkable capacity to surprise a guest. Picture yourself as the hollow shell of a once fully-functional human being, the tragic product of a decade of the hotel lifestyle. Imagine the reawakening of your long-dormant soul, as you get into the shower, expecting another predictably mundane ablutionary ritual, only to be shocked out of your rut by ice-cold water, seemingly treated with some hi-tech process enabling water to achieve temperatures tens of degrees below zero and yet remain a liquid. Contemplate the unparalleled joy brought by experiencing something different after what feels like an eternity of mindless consistency.


But the fun doesn't stop there - almost as soon as you adjust the controls to achieve a more tolerable setting, the temperature will leap wildly into realms of the superheated, then drop and pause briefly at a sensible level in order to lull you into a false sense of security before settling back into playful chaos. After a few such experiences you will realise that the labels 'Hot' and 'Cold' are just there to provide the illusion of control; your only option is to sit back2 and enjoy.

Plumbing as Art


As you ride this calorific roller coaster, spare a thought for the ingenious souls who make it possible - such diversity does not happen in a shower by accident, and can only be the product of a lifelong devotion to the art. Teams of dedicated plumbers spend days devising serpentine routes for the pipes, taking them outside, through the furnaces, across the road, round the local power station's cooling towers, and through the cryogenic suspension unit3. Be grateful, for if they had shirked their responsibilities and merely routed the pipes directly from the relevant water tank straight to your room, you would have been deprived of this rich and fascinating showering experience.


Whilst some might say that working plumbing was one of the few positive artifacts of the modern hotel, in truth any attempt to overcome the lack of diversity must surely be celebrated. In fact many of the more forward-thinking hotels have started experimenting with further variations to brighten the traveller's day. Guests can look forward to guessing the colour of water that will emerge from the shower, or enjoy vigourous percussion solos from the plumbing when the taps are opened, or can play the 'safe cracker' game where only the precise combination of left and right turns on the taps will cause a steady flow of water to come out.

1and most noteably those parts of it exported to otherwise exotic locations2or, more likely, stand up, depending on the design of the shower cubicle3all hotels provide facilities enabling guests to spend as little time conscious as possible whilst stuck in the hotel; more common options include the television and the bar

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A338960

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more