A Conversation for Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips

Rhubarb strange growth

Post 1

YYUR4Me

I have been grown rhubarb in ever garden I have had and seen my father do the same but this is a new one on me.

3 years ago because the rhubarb plants died on moving I planted some from seed. They germinated fine and last year had a successfull crop of delicious rhubarb.

This year it is comming along nicely (April) but some stalks are producing side stalks instead of each stalk comming from the soil individually.

Comments/advice would be welcome.


Rhubarb strange growth

Post 2

Nigel *ACE*

Hello YYUR4Me smiley - smiley,

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Rhubarb plants smiley - ok.

I am not too familiar with the side shoots growing from the main stem, but I would think that by leaving them on it will not do any harm. If you do take them off then this will encourage the main stem to thicken up and grow bigger.

I use a compost bin to cover mine up around January time, and the dark encourages lovely pink stems which are much sweeter than the normal way of leaving them exposed. It is a method of forcing, mine are just reaching the top of my compost bin now and am looking forward to a rhubarb crumble smiley - biggrin. I will take the compost bin off in a month or so time to allow the rhubarb to grow normally again.

Rhubarb are usually tough old plants, and once established can grow each year doubling in size.

I hope that this helps, any other help or advice that you need don't be afraid to ask smiley - ok.

Nigel smiley - footprints



Rhubarb strange growth

Post 3

YYUR4Me

Thank you for the reply - will see what develops.


Rhubarb strange growth

Post 4

YYUR4Me

Hi,

They have developed a bit more now. The stems that are supporting side shoots (side shoots are "proper" rhubarb stems) are round and hollow and topped with flowers now.

Must be something to do with the variety I suppose.

Tony B.


Rhubarb strange growth

Post 5

Nigel *ACE*

Hello Tony,

I have the same problem with regards to the flowering. I have cut the flowers off, otherwise the plant will put all of its energy into flowering which could kill the rhubarb off for the season.

It is best to take the flower stems off. The side shoots are okay, as these are the main stems.

smiley - goodluck

Nigel smiley - footprints


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more