Gnomon's h2g2 Dates

1 Conversation

1 September 2000

I stumbled across h2g2 and decided it would be worth investigating. h2g2 was all Alabaster in those days. I set up my account and created my Personal Space A428807. I created my first Guide Entry The Equal Temperament Scale by cutting and pasting something I had written earlier.

Later the same day, I posted my first comment in a conversation:

Centre of the Universe

4 September 2000

I wrote my first Guide Entry within h2g2: A430264 (since deleted) Unusual Musical Instruments. This was submitted to Peer Review on 26 September and accepted on 2 October 2000. It went on to be the Edited Entry A486074.

25 January 2001

My entry on Hedgehogs hit the front page at about 11am. Later the same day, the whole of www.h2g2.com disappeared, to be replaced by a message that the site was temporarily closed. This remained for about 6 weeks in the grim incident which I named "The Interregnum", but elsewhere was known as "Rupert".

13 March 2001

h2g2 re-appeared as www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2 with a slightly changed appearance. Now there was moderation, we weren't allowed to advertise, and we could no longer include off-site pictures on our web pages, so all the photos we had assembled were useless. All our old conversations had disappeared, to re-appear when they had been checked for naughty bits. One conversation took nearly two years to recover. For most purposes, though, the site worked as before, and boy were we relieved to have it back!

28 January 2002

My records show that DNA 1.0 was released this day, but I don't know now what the significance of that is.

20 July 2002 - Official Summer Meet, London

This was the first meet I ever attended. With Azara. We met up at the bandstand in Hyde Park and then someone, probably Abi, led us to a spot over on the south side in sight of the Albert Memorial, where people played softball and we all sat around and chatted.

Met Also Ran, Hoovooloo (later SoRB, now Twiggster/Twiglet), Anna, Mina.

Then went to the Leicester Arms, a pub just north of Picadilly Circus, where we had a room upstairs booked. There was a buffet of sandwiches. I ended up sitting at a table with Bossel, Trillian's Child and Zarquon's Singing Fish (ZSF). There was a quiz.

25 January 2003 - Official Winter Meet, London

Assembled at Somerset House. Abi gave us a guided tour around the Temple area of London, this ended at the Shakespeare's Head pub, where non-tour members had assembled.

Then we all headed to the 'Penderel's Oak' pub somewhere nearby, where we had booked the downstairs room.

Full Report

28 June 2003 - Official Summer Meet, London

With Azara.

Once again, softball in Hyde Park, and croquet, followed by an evening in the pub: the Penderel's Oak.

Met Recumbentman.

Full Report

Irish Meet, 2003

Full Report

1 Dec 2003

I introduced the EF: prefix for postings in Editorial Feedback: F479967?thread=352351. This was acknowledged by the Eds the next day: F479967?thread=352789.

10 January 2004 - London Winter Meet

With Azara.

The party started with a tour of the Science Museum. Then we headed to the Penderel's Oak pub for an evening get together, with a quiz by Master B.

Full report

26 September 2004

My 100th solo edited entry is published, and I am given the role of 'Guest Editor' for the day. I got to write the introductions to the three pieces on the front page.

8 January 2005 - London Winter Meet

With Azara. Met up in front of the National Gallery, Trafalgar Square and went on a tour of the building. Went with Zarquon's Singing Fish, Little Fish, Recumbentman and Trillian's Child around the gallery. Lunch in a crypt under St Martin's in the Fields.

Then proceeded to the Bell, Book and Candle, near St Paul's, where I met someone who was just leaving. Took lovely picture of Seraphina.

29 May 2005

Finally got pissed off so much with the site that I decided to give it all up. But I didn't.

26 October 2006 - London Autumn Meet

With Azara.

This was the first of the Autumn/Spring series, and followed on just a few months after the last of the Winter/Summer series, so very few people attended.

MMF took us on a trip around the London Wetlands Centre. Met Wilma there but she had to go. Then we headed into Central London where we met up in the Shakespeare's Head pub for a very small party.

18 May 2007

My three-part Belzoni entry hit the front page and occupied all three spaces!

7 August 2007

I applied to join the h2g2 sub-editors and was quickly accepted. Within a few months I have sub-edited 50 entries.

14 Jan 2008

Once again I decide to resign from h2g2. This time I survive for a couple of months without it, but I miss my friends. When a real-life friend dies unexpectedly at the end of March, I decide I should be with my h2g2 friends and re-appear on site.

26 April 2008 - London Spring Meet

h2g2 London Spring Meet. We all get together at the British Museum. Present and correct: MMF, Galaxy Babe, Zarquon's Singing Fish and Little Fish, Wilma, B'Elana, Dragonqueen, lil, Vicki Virago. Went back to Shakespeare's Head pub. Roymondo, 2Legs, ReddyFreddy, Titania, Thatprat either there or turn up later. Next morning, go on trip to Victoria & Albert Museum with B'Elana.

Met B'Elana, lil, Vicki Virago, h5Ringer for first time, as well as the usuals: GB, Wilma, Bald Bloke.

Full Report

5 June 2008

Faced with a combined assault from Galaxy Babe and B'Elana at the Spring Meet, I agreed to start writing for The Post on a regular basis. My first article was A36713801.

12-13 July 2008 - Hull Summer Meet

Met Moonhogg, Jimcracker, TB Falsename, Prof Chaos, Straight Talker (ST) (now BMT), Scorpio Witch for first time. On the Sunday, wandered around the docks and quayside area of Hull. Stayed in Hull North hotel.

22-23 November 2008 - Hull Winter Meet

Almost an exact replay of the Spring meet, with many of the same people there. New to the fray was Wand'rin Star, who I had met previously in Dublin, but not at a meet. On the Sunday, went to The Deep. Nautiluses! Couldn't get booking in Hull North Hotel, so although we had the meal there, many of us stayed in Hull West.

Full Report

25-26 July 2009 - Hull Summer Meet

With Azara. In Hull West Hotel. Walk around the forest at the north end of the Humber Bridge. The Hull Transport Museum.

Full Report

Mannheim Meet, 2010

Full Report

18 January 2011 - Barlesque

BBC unveil the new Barlesque system for h2g2, full of bugs.

24 January 2011 - BBC Announce 'Disposal' of h2g2

BBC announce plan to 'dispose of' h2g2.

Early Summer 2011 - London Meet

Walking tour around and around Trafalgar Square by MMF. Tea/coffee in National Gallery, at which Mrs Zen/Dr Zen ask me to be Guide Editor. Get together in Shakespeare's Head.

21 June 2011

BBC announces that Not Panicking Ltd. has won the bid to take over h2g2.

31 August 2011

BBC signs contract with Not Panicking Ltd. and passes ownership of the site to them. BBC agrees to manage the site for another month.

3 October 2011

Due date for BBC shutdown of h2g2. Soon after this, the Not Panicking Ltd. version should be up and running.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A3341819

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more