A Conversation for Happy Tom Parker

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A32381705 - Happy Tom Parker

Post 1

David Parker

Entry: Happy Tom Parker - A32381705
Author: dulcimer_dave - U9474987

I would like comments on content of the article. What other information may be required to bring to completion. I am visiting London in September and hope to find further information there regarding the life and career of Happy Tom Parker. My Great Uncle.


A32381705 - Happy Tom Parker

Post 2

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

As this is an entry which traces an ancestor of yours I’m wondering whether the entry would be better placed in the Alternative Guide or perhaps in the post. Alternatively if you take out anything that directly puts you into this entry then it could be made into an Edited Guide piece as ST mentioned in Peer Review.

This entry will also be converted into Guide Ml I believe. Now some sub-editors don’t mind changing an article into Guide Ml from the way it is now. However, personally I like Guide Ml entries simply because they look more aesthetically pleasing on the eye.

<>. Should be 13 May, 1944, in Lambeth, London, England and so on through all your dates.

The fact you have broken it into chapters makes it seem like you are writing a story. Ok I can see why this could be seen as a story but you don’t need to state the number of chapters. I’d go for snappy headings which capture an insight into what the paragraph is about or a saying from them or music lyric that’s relevant.

I would also have a look at this A266131 to brush up on knowledge of numbers etc

With regards to research do as much as you can. The better you know your subject the better it will flow out onto the page and make for a great read.

Also ask yourself questions...why did he do this? perhaps even quote people. Give different sides of the story.

smiley - goodluck


A32381705 - Happy Tom Parker

Post 3

David Parker

By taking out references to me do you mean remove the introduction and perhaps amend the reference to Happy Toms Funeral at the end.


A32381705 - Happy Tom Parker

Post 4

David Parker

With regard to Guide ML, I do not have the knowledge yet to use it, but who knows what the future may hold.
Many thanks for the comments.


A32381705 - Happy Tom Parker

Post 5

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

Yes change the introduction so it refers to him and take out any use of the first person.

My friend has written a guide to GuideMl that you may like to look at A1123354 However, if you aren't used to it, I can understand that you may feel daunted by it. You don't have to use it.


A32381705 - Happy Tom Parker

Post 6

David Parker

I have had a go with Guide Ml. I hope it looks alright. I have also expanded the piece a little over the months.


A32381705 - Happy Tom Parker

Post 7

U168592

Sorry noone has replied to you in a while dave smiley - sadface

It looks pretty good to me, and I'd be game enough to try Peer Review with this, Entries about relatives are by no means unwanted in the Edited Guide smiley - smiley


A32381705 - Happy Tom Parker

Post 8

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


Matt,

Dave is still using his PR thread:

F9394461thread=5102997&post=72361872#p72361872


lil x


A32381705 - Happy Tom Parker

Post 9

David Parker

Do I need to change something here? I presume PR thread means Peer Review? Do I need to change this to go to the edited guide?

I have always wanted to be a writer and as a first attempt I wish this to be right.


A32381705 - Happy Tom Parker

Post 10

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


Hi Dave,

You now have to resubmit your article into PeerReview by using the box next to your article.

Once there, you will again go through the process of your peers helping you to 'polish' your article until it's finished, or has spent a minimum of 7 days in PR, then your article may be selected by a Scout for sub-editing for the Edited Guide smiley - ok

lil x


Key: Complain about this post